cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Symmetric Mulitprocessor using FreeRTOS?

Jump to solution

Hello, is it possible to use FreeRTOS with Symmetric Multiprocessing?

Thank you,

Joe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Symmetric Mulitprocessor using FreeRTOS?

Jump to solution

@joe306 I am highly biased here as we provide a SMP RTOS.  Like all RTOSes, FreeRTOS can always be converted to operated in SMP, but as is, it cannot operated in SMP.  If you search on the web, there are a few reports conversion to SMP was done successfully but I am not aware of any "official" FreeRTOS SMP version.  The most plausible explanation for that lack of is having to handle multiple processors sharing the same RTOS code/data involves many more issues and complexities than the ones encountered in single cores RTOSes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

@joe306 I am highly biased here as we provide a SMP RTOS.  Like all RTOSes, FreeRTOS can always be converted to operated in SMP, but as is, it cannot operated in SMP.  If you search on the web, there are a few reports conversion to SMP was done successfully but I am not aware of any "official" FreeRTOS SMP version.  The most plausible explanation for that lack of is having to handle multiple processors sharing the same RTOS code/data involves many more issues and complexities than the ones encountered in single cores RTOSes.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello, thank you for responding to my message. Would you mind sharing the name of the SMD RTOS that you use?

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

@joe306, the freeware page of our RTOS:

https://www.code-time.com/freeware.html

There are other providers of non-Posix SMP (I assume this - you asked about FreeRTOS so POSIX would be a no-go) mainly Thread-X, Greenhills, eCos.  The "catalog" of SMP RTOSes is way thinner than single core RTOSes, mostly due to the higher level of complexities involved in a SMP RTOS.

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thank you for responding to my message. I must admit I am new to the world or Real-time Operating Systems so I mentioned FreeRTOS beause I have heard that mentioned. I don't know anything beyond that OS so if there is something better please share that with me.

Thank you very much,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello again, quick question for you from a newbie. Which RTOS has the biggest following and with one is best suited for FPGAs? The biggest following would mean a larger support community. Can you include RTOS that are SMP capable.

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

@joe306 

There isn't anything in a RTOS itself that deals with the FPGA - a RTOS is purely for the CPUs (PS).  As for the "following" I understand you want info about open-source SMP RTOS. I am not aware of any freely available open-source SMP RTOS (other than Linux-like, e.g. Zephyr, or MonteVista, etc), nor of reports about SMP RTOS market share.  FYI, Xilinx's BSP can always be used with an RTOS, as long as you modify it for mutual-exclusion to make sure no 2 tasks/cores trample the internal data at the same time; so what is provided by Xilinx for their FPGA can always be used with an RTOS.

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding. What is your preference for an RTOS?

0 Kudos