Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

The interrupt type of DMA

Hi,

I have a quick question. What is the interrupt type of DMA? I did not find it in the manual. Thanks much. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What do you mean by 'interrupt type'? Which DMA are you talking about, specifically?
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi,

The DMA is the one in Vivado. You can check the doc. AXI DMA v7.1. Interrupt type means "edge" or "level". My understanding is that for level based interrupt, you should reset the ack register before processing it. For edge based interrupt, it seems that it is one-time interrrupt and you do not need to reset ack register. Can you tell me more about the advantage and disadvantage of the two types? Thanks much. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

Oh I see. The DMA will assert the interrupt until you clear asserted interrupt bits in the status register. Whether or not this is treated as 'edge' or 'level' sensitive is a function of how you set the interrupt controller of the processor for that particular interrupt line.

Google will give you some good discussion on the use of edge vs level. For example:

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/660/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.qnx.doc.neutrino.getting_started%2Ftopic%2Fs1_inter_Sensitivity.html

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos