cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Transfer a variable stream to memory

Hi , i need to transfer variable data from stream to memory, should i use an AXI DMA?

I have 4 stream to transfer

Tags (2)
7 Replies
Highlighted

Yes you can use AXI DMA.

Please check PG021 for further details.

You could also find some AXI DMA example on this Github_repo.

Best regards,
Abdallah
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@mrbietola 

Here's a thread that extensively discussed the PS-PL interface if you mean PS DDR. Might be worth a look even if you wanted BRAM.

PS-PL interface discussion 

Jerry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

i don't have a Zynq, i need to store data coming from an H264 compressor to memory

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I recently found a number of limitations of the DMA IP core. I solved it with a piece of HLS and an AXI master port interfacing the memory AXI slave. Not difficult and you have more control. My suggestion is that you implement it in HLS, it's an AXI-stream on one side, AXI master on the other, and some logic and buffer in between.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried upgrading the operating system of your spirit level?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@joancab that seems interesting,

since i'm new to HLS, can you point me to any reference design for this kind of application?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I'm not aware of any ref design specific for that. I got everything from UG902 basically. the key thing is configuring the ports, besides that I think it's a simple thing: receive via stream and save sequentially. You may want to read Tlast to end the transfer and reset the write pointer, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

With HLS you can have a smarter solution, first of all you don't need software to set it up, second you can have, for example, the transfer size at the start of the stream so the IP knows when to stop. Even possible for the IP to stop if, for example, no data for N clocks. I used the DMA blocks a lot, but they are limited. I read somewhere if they receive data before set up, they hang.

0 Kudos