Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
himesh.bilimoria
Observer
Observer

UART 16550 Register Offsets

Hi, 

I am looking at the documentation for the AXI Uart 16550 IP Core and when I look at the register offsets they all start with Base Address + 0x1000 as shown in this document on page 12 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_uart16550/v2_0/pg143-axi-uart16550.pdf. However, when I try to access the registers based on the offsets that are in the document it doesn't seem to work.

I researched the TI PC16550D core which the AXI Uart is based off of and they seem to use different offsets which start at 0x00 as shown in this document http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pc16550d.pdf on page 18. I used those offsets and I was able to access the registers properly. I was just wondering why there is this discreptancy between the Xilinx documents and the TI documents for what seems to be the exact same IP core. 

Also I am accessing the registers by first memory mapping the base address on /dev/mem/ using the mmap() command and I am then adding the offset using pointers to access the registers I want. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pvenugo

Hi,

You can use this kind of code style to access registers. 

E.g.  (void)XUartNs550_ReadReg(InstancePtr->BaseAddress,XUN_RBR_OFFSET); 

Attached is screenshot for the above code which shows RBR offeset value i.e. 0x1000

Regards

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
uart16550_RBRoffset.jpg
0 Kudos