cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

USB UART not working on new KCU105 board for initial IPI tests

I am walking through the initial KCU105 Software Install and Board Setup and while I can get the Configuration terminal to work just fine, I cannot get the UART terminal to display anything, appears the UART is dead.

I have tried both USB drivers 6.7.4 and 6.7, nothing changes.

I am running on Windows 10 and the ports both show up and are OK in Windows, just cannot communicate with the KCU105.

I can walk through clock and other configuration options, make changes, etc. all is fine, but I cannot get the tests to show up in the other terminal.

I am in the process of moving in a couple of days, so if I do not get this sorted out asap, it will have to wait 2 weeks and if I need to send the board back I need to do that ASAP.

Note that power on BIST tests all pass, just cannot get through the IPI tests.

All jumpers are correct and I switched cables and USB ports to debug.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@trm61  Can I assume you have experience with other boards or this is your first one? First think I'd make sure is that you have the correct speed (9600 or 115200). 

Can you take a screenshot of your control panel/ System/ Ports (COM&LPT) ? 

Can you please check the result of 'targets' from xsdb - follow this

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66370.html

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

I tried both speeds, from Device manager to TeraTerm, making sure they both match, etc.

This is my first board, but I am a design engineer with close to 30 years network and computer experience.

I used the XSCLT and when I connect and issue 'targets' I get:

1 xkcu040

2 MicroBlaze Debug Module at USER2

3 MicroBlaze #0 (Running)

It is just the UART port that seems dead :(

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@trm61  Just checking, you have two USB cables connected to the 2 micro USB ports - callout 19 page 9 here

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kcu105/ug917-kcu105-eval-bd.pdf

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

Yes

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@trm61  It looks like one UART Is behind the ZYNQ and another connected to the PL.

Can you connect a Putty terminal to both and check out

0 Kudos
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

@hbucher Putty same thing, doesn't work, which makes sense.

Same for JTAG, works fine via Putty.

I was able to get an example MicroBlaze design to run the Hello World using the UART port, however, but I still want to run all the tests, so I just need to know how to get them to output to the UART successfully.

Thank you for your help thus far, much appreciated!

hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@trm61 Well I just wanted to help you because it's the weekend and you have a tough schedule but you really need a Xilinx employee to help figure this out. 

Perhaps it is better to file a return anyway before your deadline expires. Better safe than sorry.

trm61
Visitor
Visitor

Been trying to open a support call all day, the system just goes in endless loops, impossible to open a new ticket :(

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@trm61 

Only big costumers have the right to a service request, it seems. I do not have it as well. 

If you bought the card from Xilinx you will be able to return it otherwise they will direct you to the vendor (Avnet, Digilent, etc). 

trm61
Visitor
Visitor

Calling any Xilinx employee...please assist with this issue, if possible, thank you!

0 Kudos
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

Would either a Xilinx employee provide a solution to this or someone tell me how to open a support call, since apparently I am not able to do so.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

I was moving long distance and I am still not set back up, but it looks like I will have to call in to open a trouble ticket on this, since I have not gotten a solution here. :(

0 Kudos
trm61
Visitor
Visitor

OK, so after my grueling move I went searching again and just happened to stumble on the "KCU105 IP Integrator Application" document...

I had been entirely in the "KCU105 Software Install and Board Setup" document and had no knowledge of the other document, as I could not find any references to any other documents, etc.

Once I followed the "KCU105 IP Integrator Application" instructions, the menu came right up.

Though, the iic_read test is hanging, the clocking test fails 8 clocks, though that might be expected, not sure, and a couple of other tests are failing.

I don't have everything connected, so I need to connect everything and rerun the tests and go from there, but at least the tests show up and run.

I am not sure why the setup instructions do not refer to the IP Integrator document, would have saved a lot of wasted time.

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@trm61

Yes, finding the right documentation is hard. 

You can refer to all documents in the KCU105 documentation hub. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/design-hubs/dh0043-kcu105-evaluation-kit-hub.html

But you are right, that document is not present there. I would expect all documents to be in the board's documentation hub.

I also could not find xtp347 anywhere in the DocNav.