cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
up
Visitor
Visitor

UltraScale+: LPDDR4 write eye pattern test fails

We have a board with a ZU2CG and a 4Gbit LPDDR4 (Micron MT53B128M32D1NP-062 WT:A), 32bit width.

Clocks are 1.2GHz CPU and LPDDR4 at full speed  (2.400 GT/s).

Using the provided memory test application (Vivado 2017.4: peripheral test, a.k.a. ZynqMP DRAM Diagnostics Test), we see the following results (see attachment for the full log):

- Memory tests runs error-free

- read eye test runs fine too

- write eye test heavily fails : with such a result, the memory tests before couldn't  have worked...

- running the memory test again, shows many failures on the unused lanes (4-7).

Does anybody have an idea what is happening? Is the write eye test not suitable for LPDDR4 at full speed?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,

-Urs

0 Kudos
16 Replies
up
Visitor
Visitor

Update: The test ist called DRAM test (not peripheral test).

Update2: With 1600 GT/s instead of 2400 GT/s, the write eye test shows normal (good) results with the LPDDR4. Still we do not have any problems at 2400 GT/s, but the test fails.

0 Kudos
debrajr

Hi,

I need some additional information from your end on this issue which you have reported:

a) What is the ZU+ package used in your project?

b) Is the Micron part used Single Die or Dual Die part?

c) Instead of 1600Mb/s, try using 2133 Mb/s and observe the DRAM test results. I am guessing that you are using within our data sheet guidelines.

d) How are you verifying that the memory is working fine at 2400 Mb/s?

Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Debraj a) FVC784 b) Single Die c) ...is in work... d) As already mentioned, the pattern tests of the DRAM test program runs fine and our own code runs fine out of DRAM. I will follow up with the test results at 2133MT/s. Best regards, -Urs
0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

ok, the test runs very fine at 2133MT/s, see attached log.

So I still wonder what's happening at 2400MT/s...

Best regards,

-Urs 

0 Kudos
debrajr

Thanks, that is a good observation. 

Again, please do provide a screenshot of the DDR Configuration page. I am hoping the DRAM settings are not limiting it to 2133 Mb/s. 

The max speeds are listed in page-28 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds925-zynq-ultrascale-plus.pdf

Kindly have a look at that. The maximum for a dual-die package is 2133 Mb/s. 

Memory failures at a higher frequency usually denote to marginal timing issues which can be checked at PCB level. I hope you have followed all the required guidelines provided in the PCB guidelines: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug583-ultrascale-pcb-design.pdf. Can you confirm that also?

Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Debraj

Please find the screenshot attached. The values are double checked and correct for 2400MT/s. Here, we have reduced the clock to 2133MT/s while keeping the RAStoCAS Delay and PrechargeTime.

Again, we have a SINGLE-die memory, not dual-die. Single die should support 2400MT/s.

If you look at the eye-pattern results for 2133MT/s, the eye opening width is excellent (like 80%). Our LPDDR4 is placed very close to the Zynq, the longest signal group has a length of approx 27mm, the shortest of 14mm. This includes lengths inside the Zynq.

We have closely followed the PCB guidelines you mentioned and the length groups are very closely matched (to within one mil), including the lengths inside the Zynq.

Please note: Even under long memory pattern tests, we do NOT see any bit errors at 2400MT/s. All the eye-tests are really perfect at 2133MT/s, read eye test at 2400MT/s is also perfect. Only the write-test fails, and it fails completely: There is _no_ eye opening at all. How can this be, we only changed the clock from 2133 to 2400 (13% higher).

Best regards,

-Urs

LPDDR4-2133 Timings.png
0 Kudos
dylan
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is there any indication of issues besides just the memory test? Be sure to use at least Vivado 2017.3 memory test, as we have fixed issues with the test, but there may be more.

0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

Version is 2017.4, see first post.

No other issues besides the memory-eye-write-test, see first and my last post.

0 Kudos
dylan
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

So far, I'd assume a problem with the test. What happens if running write eye test first?

0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

Running the write-eye test first gives a very different but still bad picture: Lane0 shows two (sic!) eyes, Lane1's eye is small and asymmetric; Lane2 looks good, Lane3 is similar to Lane1.

After this, running the READ eye test shows Lane0 as a complete fail, Lane1 as bad and Lane2 and Lane3 as good.

Somehow the read and write eye test seem to influence each other, which shouldn't be...

0 Kudos
dylan
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

That does not look normal, I suspect it is a bug in the eye test, since it is only happening at one speed. I'd suggest booting Linux as that is a much stronger test- you can follow the Petalinux documentation to build it relatively easily (only a DDR and UART are needed).

I've filed CR-994541 to track this behavior. We will not be able to fix it without hardware, but will allow us to look for this in our own testing.
0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

You say that booting Linux is a "stronger test" than running the pattern tests? Really? Why? We are not using Linux and therefore we are only doing such tests when it is clear that it would really bring new insights in the problem. As stated before: We do not see any problems with our own software.

0 Kudos
dylan
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Booting linux has always been a tougher test than synthetic memory tests. There are many CPU accesses and the asynchronous nature of the execution flow tends to be fairly strong. Over the years, I've seen linux boot find failures on a marginal board that the normal memory tests did not.

Of course, building Linux has been harder than just downloading an example SDK test- but I think that has changed with Petalinux. I'd suggest doing a quick test of building and downloading linux via JTAG using the Petalinux tools. It accepts a .hdf export from Vivado to configure linux and will build and download the entire kernel and filesystem automatically over JTAG (albeit, somewhat slowly). A boot failure would again likely be a false negative, of linux configuration- but if it does boot I think you can be assured you have a fairly robust DRAM interface.

Perhaps I'll write an Answer Record next time for custom boards wanting to do a 1-time linux boot for memory test purposes.

up
Visitor
Visitor

Meanwhile we have Petalinux running on our board. LPDDR4 is at 2400MT/s (as with the stand-alone tests above). No memory problems detected so far...

So I think it is time for Xilinx to look into the eye test ... (and stop letting me make more and more time consuming tests).

Best regards,

-Urs

0 Kudos
up
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Dylan

Could you please look into the eye-test LPDDR4?

Thanks and best regards,

-Urs

0 Kudos
dylan
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Yes, I will be fixing this, but I do not have a timeframe yet for this effort.

0 Kudos