Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firebee
Visitor
Visitor

Usage of SPI SS line(s) when in slave mode

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am making use of the AXI Quad SPI IP which I would like to run as a slave SPI; so in IP configuration I set the SPI mode as standard and I deselected "Enable Master Mode".

I chose "Create Interface Port" to interface the SPI pins to SPI_0.

Once I run the design's implementation I am asked to link both SPISEL and SS lines to actual pins.

From the LogiCORE Serial Peripheral Interface datasheet and previous forum entries I understand that SPISEL is the CS line that my SPI master will need to drive low in order to communicate with the SPI slave I am trying to design. So my question is: what am I to do with the SS lines that an SPI slave has no use for?

Best regards,

Yahia

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smarell
Community Manager
Community Manager
In case of slave mode, you can leave the SS pins unconnected because ss_i is not used in any mode and ss_o is used in master mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
smarell
Community Manager
Community Manager
In case of slave mode, you can leave the SS pins unconnected because ss_i is not used in any mode and ss_o is used in master mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post