Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado instantiates IP with wrong parameters

Jump to solution

I designed an AXI slave in which the data bus width is a parameter called i.e. AXI_DATA_WIDTH
I instantiated the IP with AXI_DATA_WIDTH=128, generated the bitstream and after testing the design in a ZCU102 board, was able to see that things were not working expected.
Then, I decided to use ILA to find the root cause of the problem.

I opened the synthesized design, clicked "set up debug" and started adding the signals I wanted to probe.
What I was able to notice was the the AXI_WDATA signal of the IP was only 32-bits (and not 128) as I intended.
This explains why my IP is not working as I intended.

I am using Vivado 2018.3 (which is still officially supported) and I believe this is a bug.

I d appreciate a solution from Xilinx.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer
Hi @leoecc,

mmmm....I faced the same situation working with the HLS. In HLS I chose a S_AXI_LITE port with data width of 64-bit, but after synthesis, when I went to the generated VHDL codes, there were for each address of the AXI, one 32-bit data register. So, when I wanted to write or read from the S_AXI_LITE registers of 64-bit, I had to issue two addresses, one for the LSB part and other for the MSB part, with an offset of 4-bytes (32-bit) in addresses.
For example, first LSB address is 0xA000000, the MSB address of the same register is 0xA0000004. which in total points to a 64-bit register, and still the data width of my S_AXI_LITE module was 64-bit!

But, for your case, it seems a bit strange. Please, try to clean your project:
1) close VIVADO,
2) go to yourproject.src/source_1/bd/ip/ and remove all generated IPs
3) go to yourproject.run/imp/ and remove all implemented IPs
4) open VIVADO, go to project setting and through the repository tab clear the cache.
5) regenerate all IPs from the scratch then synthesis and generate bitstream

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello @leoecc,

Could you please tell me what is the width of the MASTER AXI, which is connected to your SLAVE AXI? If the VIVADO generates bitstream without any errors, it means that M AXI and S AXI have the same width, otherwise it would report an error of width mismatch!

What I can guess, probably, your IP doesn't see (or better to be said the change you make is not propagated across all the generated codes, which is a Vivado bug persists also in Vivado 2016.3) your modification.

Please retry also the following workaround. When you are in the packaging environment, on the packaging steps pane, please click on the "Customization GUI". Then, on the right side, there would be opened new hierarchical windows with the parameter lets say " C S00 AXI TDATA WIDTH ". Now, double click on this parameter and change the editable option to "yes". Finally, to have the different options of different data widths, on the bottom of the current window you can add how many data widths options that you desired. In the end, click OK and re-package your IP. Now, in your main design when you instantiate your IP, by double-clicking on it you can edit the AXI data width to your preset options.

hope this helps!

Farnam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

in the block design diagram, both the data interfaces of the slave (myip) and the master (axi smc) are 128 bits. (See first figure below).

After I run the synthesis and start selecting signals to debug, however, myip has only a 32-bit data interface (see second figure below) and the axi_smc has a 128-bit interface (see third figure below).

I tried the approach you proposed and still run into the same problem.

Anything else I could try?

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have some new info: I have hardcoded the values passed through parameters into the module, this means that AXI_WDATA and AXI_RDATA are declared as having a width of 128 instead of having a width of AXI_WIDTH (a parameter).

Still, after synthesis, it seems like vivado reverts the data bus width to 32.... this is strange.

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer
Hi @leoecc,

mmmm....I faced the same situation working with the HLS. In HLS I chose a S_AXI_LITE port with data width of 64-bit, but after synthesis, when I went to the generated VHDL codes, there were for each address of the AXI, one 32-bit data register. So, when I wanted to write or read from the S_AXI_LITE registers of 64-bit, I had to issue two addresses, one for the LSB part and other for the MSB part, with an offset of 4-bytes (32-bit) in addresses.
For example, first LSB address is 0xA000000, the MSB address of the same register is 0xA0000004. which in total points to a 64-bit register, and still the data width of my S_AXI_LITE module was 64-bit!

But, for your case, it seems a bit strange. Please, try to clean your project:
1) close VIVADO,
2) go to yourproject.src/source_1/bd/ip/ and remove all generated IPs
3) go to yourproject.run/imp/ and remove all implemented IPs
4) open VIVADO, go to project setting and through the repository tab clear the cache.
5) regenerate all IPs from the scratch then synthesis and generate bitstream

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Yup, that did the trick! Thanks man!
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Your welcome : )

0 Kudos