cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

What is different between AXI master and slave in layman's term?

Jump to solution

Hello, I am getting started on learning vivado. Currently I am doing a project that is trying to connect PS with PL(PS should also read/write DDR4) . So to connect PS with PL, I assume AXI should be used, right? Which AXI IP specifically should be instantiated in vivado? I am using zcu104 board ( it has Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC). 

What is different between AXI master and slave in layman's term? Which one should be used in here, AXI master or slave?

Thanks. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

This very much depends.

AXI can be used to connect the PS to PL, but you can also use several PS standard peripherals if that would suit you better (e.g. GPIO, SPI). AXI will usually give you the best performance.

The primary difference between AXI master and slave is who is the initiator of a (read or write) transaction (the master) and who responds (the slave). So if you want the PS to let the PL do something the PS is master. But if you want the PL to directly access DDR ram the PL must be master.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
1 Reply
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

This very much depends.

AXI can be used to connect the PS to PL, but you can also use several PS standard peripherals if that would suit you better (e.g. GPIO, SPI). AXI will usually give you the best performance.

The primary difference between AXI master and slave is who is the initiator of a (read or write) transaction (the master) and who responds (the slave). So if you want the PS to let the PL do something the PS is master. But if you want the PL to directly access DDR ram the PL must be master.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)