Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoda
Observer
Observer

What to fill in for a Picoblaze on an Ultrascale+ device

Jump to solution

Hi,

On https://github.com/Paebbels/PicoBlaze-Library/blob/master/documentation%20(Xilinx)/README%20-%20KCPSM6%20Assembler.txt

I read from line 240 onwards

The name of each production template describes:-
The device family it is for...
'S6' for Spartan-6.
'V6' for Virtex-6.
'7S' for 7-Series (Artix-7, Kintex-7, Virtex-7 or Zynq).
'US' for UltraScale.

What do I need to fill in for the PicoBlaze if I'm using an Ultrascale+ Zynq device ?

Rgds,

Yoda

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gsmecher
Adventurer
Adventurer

Where do you actually need to fill in this string? A quick scan through the repository suggests that document may not be relevant:

• The Xilinx assembler (kpscm6.exe) this document describes is not included in the repository, but the Open PicoBlaze Assembler (opbasm) is.
  • There is a C_FAMILY generic described in the documentation block at the top of JTAGLoader6.vhdl, but it's not actually present in the RTL.
  • There is a single ROM template provided, for 7-series only, in ROM Templates/Page.Series-7.template.vhdl

The project you're looking at is a collection of several PicoBlaze projects, from Xilinx and others. It makes sense to include documentation associated with each of those projects, even if it no longer makes sense in the bigger picture. If you're looking for a unifying document describing the combined approach in this repository it's not going to come from the included Xilinx documentation.

If you do need a two-letter string somewhere, try "US". If not, try "7S": there are generally backwards-compatibility macros for block RAMs that should work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@Yoda ,

I did not fully understand your question and I am perhaps also not the best person to answer this. But going by the convention you have listed, for Ultrascale+ Zynq device, maybe - USP

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

short story:
I would expect US here...

longer story:
Note that 20nm US and 16nm US+ have almost the same architecture - there was a "tock" going from 7 series to US (covered in https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/ug1026-ultrascale-migration-guide.pdf) but a "tick" going from US -> US+.

the fabric, DSP, BRAM, etc. are identical between US and US+ - you'll notice that they share user guides like ug574 (fabric CLB), ug581 (memory), ug570 (DSP), etc.

sure - there's a some differences in performance/power (as a result of 20nm planar CMOS -> 16nm FinFET) and some enhancement to primitives like CMAC, PCIE, GTs, FRAME_ECC, etc. - but I wouldn't expect that to affect kcpsm6/PicoBlaze - but if you are curious you can look at the libraries guide and see some differences, e.g. https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug974-vivado-ultrascale-libraries.pdf

Cheers,
bt

gsmecher
Adventurer
Adventurer

Where do you actually need to fill in this string? A quick scan through the repository suggests that document may not be relevant:

• The Xilinx assembler (kpscm6.exe) this document describes is not included in the repository, but the Open PicoBlaze Assembler (opbasm) is.
  • There is a C_FAMILY generic described in the documentation block at the top of JTAGLoader6.vhdl, but it's not actually present in the RTL.
  • There is a single ROM template provided, for 7-series only, in ROM Templates/Page.Series-7.template.vhdl

The project you're looking at is a collection of several PicoBlaze projects, from Xilinx and others. It makes sense to include documentation associated with each of those projects, even if it no longer makes sense in the bigger picture. If you're looking for a unifying document describing the combined approach in this repository it's not going to come from the included Xilinx documentation.

If you do need a two-letter string somewhere, try "US". If not, try "7S": there are generally backwards-compatibility macros for block RAMs that should work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos