cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mostafa.numan
Observer
Observer

Which tools are required for Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC EG Board?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC EG Board because the processor and GPU in it. To use it as a SoC, which tools are required? I will also do high level synthesis on the FPGA. Do I need to buy the following tools, or anything else?

• Vivado HLS Design Suite
  • SDSoC
  • SDAccel for OpenCL

Thanks

MWN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

For a floating (node unlocked) license, you will have to buy Vivado. There's no way around that.

SDSoC is not required. SDSoC essentially extends the functionality of Vivado HLS and Xilinx SDK, both of which are included with the normal Vivado license.

Vivado - consists of all the tools needed to turn HDL code into a bitstream for an FPGA. This includes the synthesis, implementation, optimization, and bitstream generation tools. Vivado is essential for using Xilinx FPGAs; there is no third-party equivalent.

Vivado HLS (included with Vivado) - turns C/C++ code into HDL code and produces software drivers for use by a CPU (eg. Zynq PS or MicroBlaze). HLS is not required to work with Xilinx chips.

Xilinx SDK (included with Vivado or separate download) - handles software development for the Xilinx CPUs (ie Zynq PS and MicroBlaze). This is a much easier task than the hardware side and so there are a wide variety of open-source products that can do most or all of what SDK does. SDK is not required, however it is the easiest, best-supported way to get code running on the Zynq PS.

SDSoC - extends HLS and SDK. Essentially, HLS takes C code and puts it in programmable logic (PL), while providing minimal drivers to access it from SDK. SDK takes C code and puts it in the CPU/PS. SDSoC takes C code and splits it into PL and PS sections, writes the interfaces between them, figures out how to move data between all the PL sections, etc. SDSoC is not required to use the Zynq, but for certain projects it will save a lot of time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

@mostafa.numan If the device you're looking at is WebPack-supported (ie XCZU3EG or smaller) then you don't need to buy anything. You may want to buy SDSoC, but it's not required.

If the device you're looking at is not WebPack-supported, and it doesn't include a Vivado license (many development kits, like the entire ZCU10x series, include a Vivado license) then you will need to buy Vivado. You might also want to buy an SDSoC license, but again this is not required.

0 Kudos
mostafa.numan
Observer
Observer

@u4223374 Thanks for your reply. I wish to buy EK-U1-ZCU102-G which includes Node locked device-locked Vivado license with one year of updates. I would need a node-unlocked license. 

I am bit confused about your last statement. Can you please clarify if I need SDSoC for this device? Are the functionalities of SDSoC integrated in Vivado HL System Edition?

Cheers 

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

For a floating (node unlocked) license, you will have to buy Vivado. There's no way around that.

SDSoC is not required. SDSoC essentially extends the functionality of Vivado HLS and Xilinx SDK, both of which are included with the normal Vivado license.

Vivado - consists of all the tools needed to turn HDL code into a bitstream for an FPGA. This includes the synthesis, implementation, optimization, and bitstream generation tools. Vivado is essential for using Xilinx FPGAs; there is no third-party equivalent.

Vivado HLS (included with Vivado) - turns C/C++ code into HDL code and produces software drivers for use by a CPU (eg. Zynq PS or MicroBlaze). HLS is not required to work with Xilinx chips.

Xilinx SDK (included with Vivado or separate download) - handles software development for the Xilinx CPUs (ie Zynq PS and MicroBlaze). This is a much easier task than the hardware side and so there are a wide variety of open-source products that can do most or all of what SDK does. SDK is not required, however it is the easiest, best-supported way to get code running on the Zynq PS.

SDSoC - extends HLS and SDK. Essentially, HLS takes C code and puts it in programmable logic (PL), while providing minimal drivers to access it from SDK. SDK takes C code and puts it in the CPU/PS. SDSoC takes C code and splits it into PL and PS sections, writes the interfaces between them, figures out how to move data between all the PL sections, etc. SDSoC is not required to use the Zynq, but for certain projects it will save a lot of time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mostafa.numan
Observer
Observer

@u4223374 Thanks a lot mate. It clarifies everything :)

Cheers

0 Kudos