Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Zynq ethernet bidirectional performance

Jump to solution

Hello!

Has anybody measured the Zynq's ethernet bidirectional performance in linux?

Background: I'm working on a Zedboard, with ADI linux image (see link), connected to a PC with gigabit ethernet and Cat5e cable. I have an application that needs bidirectional/full-duplex communication between PC and Zedboard.

I used iperf v2 in 'dualtest' option to check the throughput. While one direction logged >500Mbps rate, the other suffered at <100Mbps. I'm afraid this will result in packet losses as data is seen to be exchanged at a constant rate. If that were audio for example, one side might sound choppy. Retesting in a half-duplex option (-r) showed no such packet losses as either direction logged >500Mbps.

Most Zynq ethernet performance tests I've seen use iperf v3 which lack 'dualtest' option or tests transmit and receive independently.

Currently, I'm at a loss if this is a Zynq-GEM, or Zedboard hardware (PHY), or a linux driver issue. I've posted similar questions at ADI and Zedboard forums, but no clear answer yet.

Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

emacps is deprecated. please use macb driver.

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

the zynq gem in linux has been validated using macb driver. the performance results are given here.

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Macb+Driver#Test Procedure-Performance Tests

which driver are you using?

--hs

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks hs.

I am using the linux image from ADI (mainly because of the HDMI driver and their RF products), which I believe uses linaro ARM. I'll double check when I get access to the board again.

From the link you've given, it says the HW IP supports half-duplex operation. Does that mean that full-duplex is not really supported, despite the etthernet link speed negotiation showing full-duplex?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I've just verified the linux driver. dmesg shows it is using xemacps:

libphy: XEMACPS mii bus: probed
xemacps e000b000.eth: pdev->id -1, baseaddr 0xe000b000, irq 33

'ethtool -i eth0' shows:

driver: xemacps
version: 1.00a

xemacps. according to its documentation, supports both half and full duplex operation.

Is there going to be a performance improvement if I use 'macb' driver instead?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

--hs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!

I've also contacted the ADI developers regarding the use of macb driver  They said they will be migrating to the new driver soon.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@htsvn wrote:

Hi htsvn,

is there any alternatives for emacps for a baremetal applications? I have the same problem (it is described here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/Zynq-7000-LwIP-2-0-2-Low-RX-throughput-when-TX-is-active/td-p/870921), but I guess that I am not able to use macb driver since I don't have Linux running on the Zynq?

Nenad

0 Kudos

Hi @x_irie,

The original post is answered and solution is accepted.

Could you please create a new post and send it to the board?

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@pvenugo wrote:

Hi @x_irie,

The original post is answered and solution is accepted.

Could you please create a new post and send it to the board?

Regards

Praveen

Hi,

I have already done that: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/Zynq-7000-LwIP-2-0-2-Low-RX-throughput-when-TX-is-active/td-p/870921

Nenad

0 Kudos