Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fchpj
Observer
Observer

bootloader optimization

Hi,

When I was testing the default bootloader provided by the SDK tool using SPARTAN 3A starter kit, it took more than 10 seconds to copy my application (about 29K) from flash to SDRAM, which is too long and unacceptible to my application.

Has anyone tried other file formats instead of s-record to program to the flash? or how to make the bootloader faster? 

Thanks,

fchpj

0 Kudos
5 Replies
xiaofeip
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Did you disable the printting of the verbose information in the source code?

-XF

0 Kudos
fchpj
Observer
Observer

Yes. My application needs boot time to be as fast as possible (< 1 second), and the code size could be more than 100K. We are planning using Spartan 3 700A, any more suggestions?

Thanks,

fchpj

0 Kudos
xiaofeip
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Im not sure if 1s is reasonable for 100K code, but you can try the bin format.

You can generate the bif format with mb-copy command.

Considering that there's no format/debug information in the bin file,  the bootloader has to know where to load the code. That means you need to create your custom bootloader to load the code from Flash.

-XF

0 Kudos
ahs23
Contributor
Contributor

hi can u guys please tell me where i can learn all about bootloader.

i mean i dont know much about them can u tell me if there are any application notes availabale.

i want to create a design in XPS and then import in ISE and then i want the whole bit stream and the elf file to be stored in the flash memory for production

0 Kudos
moharram2009
Contributor
Contributor

ahs23 wrote:

hi can u guys please tell me where i can learn all about bootloader.

i mean i dont know much about them can u tell me if there are any application notes availabale.

i want to create a design in XPS and then import in ISE and then i want the whole bit stream and the elf file to be stored in the flash memory for production

refer to xapp983 flash problems

0 Kudos