Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronnywebers
Advisor
Advisor

can I use the XADC with external temperature sensors

Jump to solution

I know XADC can measure the internal temperature of the Zynq, and I can set alarms on temperature thresholds/alarms

Q1 : can I also connect external temperature sensors (PTC, transistor, ... ?) to the XADC inputs? Guess I need some conversion to the correct voltage range of the XADC? Any example / ref / app note available?

Q2 : if yes to Q1 -> can I set temperature thresholds/alarms too for these external sensors?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
austin
Scholar
Scholar

Yes,

But, the external sensor needs to provide a 0 to 1v analog output, so that the XADC can interface to it and read its value.  As well, you may have to also do the proper math to convert the value to degrees F or degrees C.

It does not interface to a bare diode or bipolar transistor (without a current source and other components).  I suppose in its simplest form, a forward biased diode (from a resistor to 1.0 volts) could be used, once calibrated, to sense temperature.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

1 Reply
austin
Scholar
Scholar

Yes,

But, the external sensor needs to provide a 0 to 1v analog output, so that the XADC can interface to it and read its value.  As well, you may have to also do the proper math to convert the value to degrees F or degrees C.

It does not interface to a bare diode or bipolar transistor (without a current source and other components).  I suppose in its simplest form, a forward biased diode (from a resistor to 1.0 volts) could be used, once calibrated, to sense temperature.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post