cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nachiket
Participant
Participant

double-precision floating-point cycles

How many cycles are required for double-precision implementation of floating-point operations add, multiply, divide, compare, etc on a Microblaze? 

Since these will be implemented in software, I expect the performance will be poor. I just want to know latency/throughput of these operations in that situation.

Is there a manual where these costs are documented?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

As you said, there is no native hardware support in MicroBlaze for double precision. All double precision instructions are emulated in software by the compiler. When the FPU is enabled (C_USE_FPU > 0), the hardware supports single precision floating point operations.

The # of instruction cycles for the operations is documented in the MicroBlaze User Guide

e.g. %XILINX_EDK%\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\microblaze_v7_20_c\doc\microblaze.pdf

see fadd, fmul etc in the MicroBlaze Instruction Set Architecture section for the HW implementation. It is also dependent on the 3/5 pipeline configuration selection (C_AREA_OPTIMIZED).

You may also want to search this manual for "floating" and "FPU" occurences.

I suspect the actual implementation depends on the compiler (mb-gcc) version, its configuration and the specific code.

You could also try both methods (SW emulated or HW supported [single precision only]) for a few simple cases and then profile the code or disassemble the output to get a better idea of the actual implementation.

bt

Message Edited by timpe on 10-08-2009 07:43 PM
0 Kudos