Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

need for a black box

Jump to solution

Suppose I use coregen to create a dual-port block RAM module. If I instantiate it in my design, do I also need to create a black box for it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: need for a black box

Jump to solution

Coregen will generate all of the files that you will need to instantiate the dual-port BRAM in your design.  Typically, it will generate an NGC netlist file that implements your BRAM.  It will also generate an HDL file that instantiates the NCF module.  Both of those files will need to be added to your project.  Coregen will also create a HDL template file that illustrates how to instantiate the BRAM in your HDL.  You can cut and paste from this file to our HDL file and then modify as appropriate.

If you include all of the above, ISE will automatically recognize the module instantiation as a Blackbox.

Ted Booth | Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer | DesignLinx Solutions
https://www.designlinxhs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: need for a black box

Jump to solution

Coregen will generate all of the files that you will need to instantiate the dual-port BRAM in your design.  Typically, it will generate an NGC netlist file that implements your BRAM.  It will also generate an HDL file that instantiates the NCF module.  Both of those files will need to be added to your project.  Coregen will also create a HDL template file that illustrates how to instantiate the BRAM in your HDL.  You can cut and paste from this file to our HDL file and then modify as appropriate.

If you include all of the above, ISE will automatically recognize the module instantiation as a Blackbox.

Ted Booth | Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer | DesignLinx Solutions
https://www.designlinxhs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos