Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

voltage level on zc702

Jump to solution

Hi,
I wanted to change the VCCPINT and VCCPAUX voltages of the zynq zc702 board. The nominal values are 1V and 1.8V respectively. So,to what values would I be able to change them so that they remain operational without damage???
Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

s,

Yes.  Stay within the recommended min and max.  Yes, power will vary (to a first order linearly with voltage -- i.e. increase by 5% increases power by 5%), but it will be hard to measure, as the power is small for just the PS.

Understand that normal process variations will cause a much larger change in power, so measuring one part is a pretty useless exercise (you will learn about that one device).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Why do you want to change voltages?

For proper functioning of FPGA the voltages should be within recommended operating voltages table-2 in http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds187-XC7Z010-XC7Z020-Data-Sheet.pdf

Please note that the table-1 in DS187 shows absolute maximum values of zynq device. If the voltage are within the range of this table-1 of DS187 then FPGA will not damage permanently. But FPGA functionality guaranteed if your voltages are within recommended operating voltages recommendations as per Table-1 in DS187

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply.
I intend to change the voltage so as to measure the power consumption of a program operating at various voltages. I am only using the PS section i.e. the ARM Cortex A9. So, I intend to alter VCCPAUX and VCCPINT. 
According to table 2, would I be right in saying I can change VCCPAUX between 1.71 and 1.89 and VCCPINT between 0.95 and 1.05?? Would they have any effect in the power consumption?? I am measuring power using the pmBUS and I2C since the TI fusion power controller is not available to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

s,

Yes.  Stay within the recommended min and max.  Yes, power will vary (to a first order linearly with voltage -- i.e. increase by 5% increases power by 5%), but it will be hard to measure, as the power is small for just the PS.

Understand that normal process variations will cause a much larger change in power, so measuring one part is a pretty useless exercise (you will learn about that one device).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks. 
I wish to know the power consumption of the PS section alone, mainly the ARM Cortex A9 section. 
But, when I give VCCPAUX=1.75V and VCCPINT=0.97V only the 12V Power On Status Led glows. No computation is performed. Why is that??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

s,

I suspect that is because the sysmon (XADC) is in the PL, so you do not have any internal resources to use for measuring power.

I know the board power supplies hve features, but I am not familiar with them

Is anyone out there able to answer?

I always use the PL side with the PS side, so I am not very useful for PS only questions.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos