hi all , can you guys please with the following:
1) what is platform flash, i mean is it some kind of flash that xilinx has named "platform" based on its technology or something. basically i would like to know why is called platform.
2) what is the difference between platform flash and SPI flash
3) what is platform flash used for and SPI flash used for
i have a Spartan 3e starter kit
1) Platform FLASH is nothing else but a simple PROM for code storage.
These days serial FLASH memories are widely used for lesser pin count and more efficiency and reduced power consumption and reduced board space and reduced noise.
Based on the above facts the remaining answers are mentioned below...
2) SPI and platform FLASH are both used for code storage where SPI differs from platform in a way mentioned above, the facts.
3) You can use either of them. The benefits are in front of you.