UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AXI DMA: Data to DDR3 Memory

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are using the ZC702 Board. I'm new to the tools in Xilinx, we are switching from Altera due some problems with it, so pardon my novice understanding of Xilinx, Vivado, and all the rest....

We have a system where data are coming in from 8 channels at 40 MHz. We need to transfer all that data into the DDR3 via DMA. I looked around online but most of the examples are reading data from the memory via the DMA but not writing to it. Are there any good examples for this out there?

When we worked with one of Altera's distributors they kindly made a simply design for us to follow and we were able to get it working. It was simply a counter being written into the memory (https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/Writing_to_HPS_Memory), would you guys be able to provide the same.

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: AXI DMA: Data to DDR3 Memory

Jump to solution

Yeah, sure!

Check the /doc/tutorial.txt file for each design for instructions on how to use them. Make sure to use the appropriate version of Vivado.

I'd recommend starting with the dma_ex_polled design.

www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yeah, sure!

Check the /doc/tutorial.txt file for each design for instructions on how to use them. Make sure to use the appropriate version of Vivado.

I'd recommend starting with the dma_ex_polled design.

www.xilinx.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Is any reason why it takes so long to compile one of these examples? For me, it takes 23 minutes for synthesis and implementation.

I thought the new Vivado is supposed to be really fast!

Jack
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Just a question regarding the TREADY line coming from the S2MM.

How does that TREADY line behave? In the example you provided we only increment the counter when the ready line is high. But for our project, we have data coming constantly, which we assert the TVALID line when our data is there, but will the TREADY line be asserted when our data arrives?

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
If the dma block knows where the data is supposed to go, it will keep its tready valid so it will accept new data when tvalid is active too. You need to program the destination information before you expect data to arrive for this to work.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi

It is already programmed.

But the TREADY line is not always on. How can we set up everything such that the TREADY is on? Since we have data coming continuously.

Thanks

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Bwiec

The DMA example zip  appears tobe exactly what I want. Only problem is that i am using Vivado 2013.4, and when i run the script for the polled example it fails. Is it possible to get a later version?.

(The failure message I get is:   "ip: processing_system7:5.2 is not supported for this version of the tools")

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hey,

Unfortunately, the designs have not been updated at this time. You will need to run the script in 2013.4 to create the project and then migrate it forward from there.

Sorry about that!
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi

I did run the script in 2013.4 but it literally only created the project. No design infromation was loaded.

Do you mean for me to  migrate it  i  will need to modifiy the script in some way?.

0 Kudos