UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

AXI DMA example not working

Jump to solution

I've been trying to set up a DMA with a Zynq but for some reason is either not sending or not receiving. Attached is the design and the memory map. There is a FIFO that buffers data 16 clocks. I'm sending 32 bytes, so I expect the last 16 received match the first ones sent.

Software is the example for "DMA polling" in the Vivado install directory. If I run it straight away it waits forever in the highlighted while loop.

Status = XAxiDma_SimpleTransfer(&AxiDma,(UINTPTR) RxBufferPtr, MAX_PKT_LEN, XAXIDMA_DEVICE_TO_DMA);

if (Status != XST_SUCCESS) {
			return XST_FAILURE;
		}

Status = XAxiDma_SimpleTransfer(&AxiDma,(UINTPTR) TxBufferPtr, MAX_PKT_LEN, XAXIDMA_DMA_TO_DEVICE);

if (Status != XST_SUCCESS) {
			return XST_FAILURE;
		}

while ((XAxiDma_Busy(&AxiDma,XAXIDMA_DEVICE_TO_DMA)) || (XAxiDma_Busy(&AxiDma,XAXIDMA_DMA_TO_DEVICE))) {
				/* Wait */
		}

Status = CheckData();

I have tried commenting out each of the XAxiDma_Busy functions, it hangs in both cases, so both the write and read seem not to end, I get this on the terminal:

dma3.png

If I skip the while loop, then, of course, it proceeds but the check function (modified to show all values) prints this:

dma4.png

I've been trying a lot of variations with the same frustrating results. Posts with similar problem haven't helped as well.

There are some "golden" examples by Xilinx, but they are for certain boards and certain Vivado releases, so one has to adapt them to his environment. I think DMA is a basic block and what I'm trying to do is a basic system so there should be a generic guideline instead.

dma1.png
dma2.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: AXI DMA example not working

Jump to solution

that's finally fixed and running. nothing wrong with the hardware or software. All I needed was an AxiStream Interconnect between the DMA and the Stream FIFO. Design below:

workingdma.png

And memory map:

workingmemmap.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Observer kruucian
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello, satguy

Stream FIFO seems does not attached properly

check the hardware architecture again

If FIFO attached properly, It will appear under AXI DMA on address editor.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@kruucian, AXI-stream is not memory mapped, there are no addresses for it, am I right or deeply confused?

0 Kudos
Observer kruucian
Observer

Jump to solution

sorry, satguy

I've confused with CDMA, you're right.

but there are three things of concern.

1. The problem that stalled in standalone is that the FIFO is inaccessible.

2. The odd value read from petalinux is likely to be that the data in the cache has been read.

3. In Zynq Ultrascale +, FIFO is registered as PS slave.

If you do not have to use a stream FIFO, CDMA is easier to use.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I'm not using petalinux but bare.

Is not Ultrascale+, just Zynq, but I suppose it applies.

CDMA moves from MM to MM, I need to stream, I can't use that. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

that's finally fixed and running. nothing wrong with the hardware or software. All I needed was an AxiStream Interconnect between the DMA and the Stream FIFO. Design below:

workingdma.png

And memory map:

workingmemmap.png

0 Kudos
Visitor airbu
Visitor

Jump to solution

hi @satguy,

I would like to understand why adding an axi stream interconnect and changing the address map of the axi_dma_0 from 4k to 16k solved the problem ?

As far as i know we don't need an axi stream interconnect ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos