UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Automatic Pin Placement

Jump to solution

I have a zc706 board.

I would like to have a design where a Microblaze processor has access to the P3 RJ45 connector and can communicate with the J21 UART.

I made a design using the AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem block.  Now the existing ports on the design include gmii_rtl_15446, mdio_rtl_15446, uart_rtl_15446, and RST.RESET_RTL_15446.

I need to assign these to the hardware on the ZC706 board, but I don't understand how.

For an example, the MDIO port has INOUT pin mdio_rtl_mdio_io. I beleive this goes to pin C18 on the chip, which the schematic says is the PHI MDIO line. However, in my synthesized design when I try entering C18 in the Package Pin line  "C18 is an invalid placement site".

What is the proper way to assign pins? Or better  yet, is there a way to automatically have these RTL signals assigned to the correct locations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Automatic Pin Placement

Jump to solution

Oh, drat... Your follow-up question has me reading your original question differently now.

It now seems like you're trying to connect an AXI-based Ethernet MAC to MIO pins--ostensibly in order to use the Ethernet HW on the board that's connected to those pins.

Sorry; you can't do that.

You can export IO from PSU blocks (e.g., a GEM, including its MDC/MDIO) to the PL using EMIO and then connect those IO to the PCB using PL IO, but you can't go the other way. Meaning: you cannot use MIO pins as IO for PL logic.

You can connect your Microblaze to the PCB's Ethernet connector P3, but only by having that processor interact with a GEM inside the PSU--not by using any kind of PL-based Ethernet MAC. 

The AXI Enet IP you have added has no ability to communicated externally, unless you add an FMC module that provides a (GMII or RGMII) PHY and an RJ45 connector, and then connect that AXI IP to it.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

PS pins are not assigned as PL pins are. There locations are fixed, so they need no location constraints.

If you notice in the ZC706 schematic, pin C18 is called PS_MIO53.  The Ethernet MDIO pins uses PS_MIO53 for EVERY Zynq chip.  PS_MIO53 differs in pin number (or ball location) from package to package, but the tool handles that re-mapping for you.

What you need to do is select the pin's specific functionality within the Vivado IP-Integrator PS Configurator.  This will result in the start-up software (FSBL) configuring the pin as you want it.

2018-12-18_11-06-34.jpg

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
So if I want to use the pin from the block diagram, I need to export it as an EMIO, but do I actually need to USE the pin from the ARM core, or can I connect a different IP and leave the EMIO pin unconnected?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Oh, drat... Your follow-up question has me reading your original question differently now.

It now seems like you're trying to connect an AXI-based Ethernet MAC to MIO pins--ostensibly in order to use the Ethernet HW on the board that's connected to those pins.

Sorry; you can't do that.

You can export IO from PSU blocks (e.g., a GEM, including its MDC/MDIO) to the PL using EMIO and then connect those IO to the PCB using PL IO, but you can't go the other way. Meaning: you cannot use MIO pins as IO for PL logic.

You can connect your Microblaze to the PCB's Ethernet connector P3, but only by having that processor interact with a GEM inside the PSU--not by using any kind of PL-based Ethernet MAC. 

The AXI Enet IP you have added has no ability to communicated externally, unless you add an FMC module that provides a (GMII or RGMII) PHY and an RJ45 connector, and then connect that AXI IP to it.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Ok, so any of the ARM pins that go out to package pins are necessarily tied to the ARM and need to be used via PS in some way. Understood.

0 Kudos