UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Can't find AXI SPI for adding to block diagram

Jump to solution

I'm using Vivado 2018.1 and the Kintex 7, both 160T and 325T in ffg676 package.

Another forum post ( https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/AXI-Quad-SPI-AXI-SPI/td-p/770510 ) mentions bot the AXI SPI and the AXI Quad SPI.  From a block diagram, when I click on the "+" at the top in order to add a module, I can find the AXI Quad SPI, but I can't find the AXI SPI.  My need is only single, standard SPI.  Looking at resource usage, the AXI Quad SPI appears to require dramatically more than the AXI SPI.  For this reason I'd rather use the AXI SPI that I can't find.

[EDIT: Oh yes, and I'll need a MicroBlaze bare metal driver to talk to it, if that makes a difference in which IP that I use.]

Is the AXI SPI deprecated?  Is there an easy way to get it into the block diagram?  (I need the easy way, as my project has far too many other time consuming tasks not yet completed, LOL.)

Thanks,

Helmut

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't find AXI SPI for adding to block diagram

Jump to solution

Hi @helmutforren,

AXI QSPI can be configured as standard x8 as shown below and explained in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/AXI-Quad-SPI-AXI-SPI/td-p/770510 .

In 7series there is not AXI SPI IP as such all you need is to configure as shown in screenshot.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
AXI_QSPI_standardmode.png
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @helmutforren,

AXI QSPI can be configured as standard x8 as shown below and explained in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/AXI-Quad-SPI-AXI-SPI/td-p/770510 .

In 7series there is not AXI SPI IP as such all you need is to configure as shown in screenshot.

Regards

Praveen

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
AXI_QSPI_standardmode.png
0 Kudos
Scholar helmutforren
Scholar

Jump to solution

If I can continue asking...

This darned part has too many unused connections!  I'm using these sparse few.  Does this sound correct, for this guy being master?  I'm bringing them to external pins.

MOSI = io0_o = Master out, Slave in (input)

MISO = io1_1 = Master in, Slave out (output)

SS = ss_o[0:0] = Slave Select (output)

SCLK = cfgmclk = SPI Clock (output)

Left unused are the other flavors of io0*, io1*, and STARTUP_IO:*

[EDIT:  Further found I must drive ext_spi_clk.  Page 22 of pg153 April 4, 2018 says it must be slower than AXI clock.  Was driving AXI clock from Clocking Wizard that produced 200MHz sysclk and 100MHz microblaze clock that goes to AXI.  Added third output at 50MHz.  Configured AXI quad SPI to divide by 2.  Expecting 25MHz on SCLK above to drive chip with 26MHz max.]

[EDIT: I'm getting closer.  SCLK should be driven by sck_o.  Unfortunately, the IP defaulted to STARTUP enabled, which removed sck_o from availability.  I don't need STARTUP.  I turned it off and sck_o became available.  Also, the doc says sck_i is only available in slave mode.  I have the IP configured for master mode, yet sck_i is still there.  The slave mode comment isn't made for all the other _i, but it seems like it should be.  Yet those are still there too.  Lot's of signals present that shouldn't be connected...]

0 Kudos