Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Can't find good sources for interfacing with SD card

Jump to solution

I currently have a project where I've made a camera out of a Microzed (Zynq 7020 SoC) and a custom daughter card with an image sensor. After recording some video, I would like to dump the pixel data stored in RAM (1 GB in total) into the SD card by pressing a button on the board, and repeat.

From what I've gathered, the SDK will need to be used, but I'm new to it. Everything I've read so far mentions using the SDK, some xilffs library, FatFs, and using something called MicroBlaze, but its all fragmented or outdated, with links to designs or tutorials going to dead or removed webpages.

I've only ever treated the SoC as an FPGA and wrote everything in Verilog. The only times I've dealt with the Zynq processing system is when I had to initialize it properly in Vivado so I can boot from an SD card and access the DDR3 RAM, so that my verilog module acts as the AXI Master and the RAM as the AXI Slave. I never really used the SDK besides following instructions to create an image to boot from the SD card. So some questions I have are:

1) Are there any resources that clearly show what to configure in the zynq processing block from the hardware side, and how to set things up in the SDK?

2) Can I boot from the SD card and write to it at the same?

3) Since my design is all in Verilog right now, can I instead interface with the SD card from the PL side as well? In fact, would it work faster if I do?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer
Observer

Re: Can't find good sources for interfacing with SD card

Jump to solution
Using microSD card on the MicroZed can be easily implemented with the driver xsdps provided by Xilinx. It works with the Zynq ARM CPU. The driver and C-code examples are located in Vivado library \embeddedsw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers\sdps In Vivado the only thing is needed is enabling SD card in the processing system. Everything else is done in SDK. You will need to add library xilffs to the BSP. File system and C functions are described in http://elm-chan.org You can boot from SD card as well. BTW, you can find a lot of info on Avnet support.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Observer
Observer

Re: Can't find good sources for interfacing with SD card

Jump to solution
Using microSD card on the MicroZed can be easily implemented with the driver xsdps provided by Xilinx. It works with the Zynq ARM CPU. The driver and C-code examples are located in Vivado library \embeddedsw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers\sdps In Vivado the only thing is needed is enabling SD card in the processing system. Everything else is done in SDK. You will need to add library xilffs to the BSP. File system and C functions are described in http://elm-chan.org You can boot from SD card as well. BTW, you can find a lot of info on Avnet support.

View solution in original post