UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data2Mem critical warning. [MemData 28-82].

I am working with a customer that has implemented multiple Microblaze cores within the same project targeting the Kintex 7 410. He follows the process to assign elf files to each core and then tries to simulate the design using the included simulation tools within Vivado. Once he runs simulation, he gets a Critical warning as such: Critical Warning: [Memdata 28-82] data2mem failed to process parameter data while generating ‘MEM’ files The Elf file targeted is the simple bootloop that was included when the core was generated for each Microblaze core. Has anyone else run into this error??? I have searched for similar warnings and have verified that no blocks are called Microblaze but beyond that I have found no other insight. Thank you, Franky
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Observer wachag
Observer

Re: Data2Mem critical warning. [MemData 28-82].

Have you found any solution? I am affected, too.

0 Kudos
Visitor bnahill
Visitor

Just to drag this one further...

I have this problem as well but it seems that data2mem can fail for a good variety of reasons. In my case, I can see the error reported by data2mem as:

ERROR::26 - Illegal bit lane width in ADDRESS_SPACE 'pcie_block_sim.pcie_sim_bd_i_cpu_microblaze_0.pcie_block_sim.pcie_sim_bd_i_cpu_microblaze_0_local_memory_lmb_bram_ADDR_SPACE'.
'pcie_block_sim.pcie_sim_bd_i/cpu_microblaze_0_local_memory_lmb_bram_BUS_BLK [31:0]' is 32 bits wide. Only 256 bit widths are allowed for this device.

This is in a design for a Kintex Ultrascale that has worked in the past and has received no modification since working. The memory in question is a 32-bit addr/data BRAM on the microblaze's LMB. In the same project, I've had it appear on other memories as well, some with 256-bit interfaces. In one case, it was fixed by using a Vivado-generated wrapper around the block diagram (which I apparently should've done anyways). In another case, that didn't fix it and I still can't simulate the design because it can't generate a BMM for the whole top-level.

Does anyone know what's up or how to see the exact data2mem command that is executed? There seems to be no way to see what it actually ran...

0 Kudos
Visitor mikeamidi
Visitor

Yes, there is a way to fix this issue. Basically you need to manually create a top level wrapper to incorporate both BD projects and their associated wrappers. Kind of top level wrapper. Then under vivado section for associating .elf file you should be able to add each processor .elf file to correct MB segments. You need to do this both for synthesize and simulation. Then go to your behavioral simulation and reset and re-run. If you still have issues, under library section you need to put your elf files on top for compilation order to make this work. Good -luck.
0 Kudos
Visitor bnahill
Visitor

I forgot to post a fix once I found it. Vivado 2016.2 (at least, probably earlier) seems to have a problem mapping unique names to BRAM entities in multiple block designs. If you make two block diagrams and instantiate a BRAM in each, they will have the same name locally. While hierarchically, they have different paths when the two BDs are instantiated, something in data2mem is wholly unaware of this hierarchical name and will confuse the two memories. If they have different sizes, then you have a problem.

Give your BRAM instances unique names until this gets fixed.

0 Kudos
Visitor mianni
Visitor

Hello! I am trying to create a bmm file.

As template  data2mem, page 15, Figure 18, is used to create bmm file [1].

ISE Design Suite 14.7 is used.

Project Navigator=>Tools=>FPGA EDITOR=> post map, and then highlight RAM16WER . The name notation i get is different i am not sure what notation to use and where to locate it.

Below is the name i got for the memory:

comp "core0/decode0/gprf0/a/Mram_ram", site "RAMB16_X1Y10", type = RAMB16BWER (RPM grid X97Y80)

and name from data2mem pdf:

ram0_instance/U0/xst_blk_mem_generator/gnativebmg.native_blk_mem_gen/valid.cstr/ramloop[0].ram.r/s6_noinit.ram/SP.SIMPLE_PRIM18.ram

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards!

Source

[1] https://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_46945_Data2Mem_Usage_and_Debugging_Guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor mianni
Visitor

I did find this page very helpful for my problems:

http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2575

0 Kudos