UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer risamu
Observer

Enabling ECC on ZCU106 board prevents Hello World's initialization

Jump to solution

I'm attempting to run a simple hello world on a ZCU106 board through JTAG with a fairly bare-bones BD hardware design in the FPGA (just dropped a Zynq and clicked to apply the board presets for ZCU106):

Untitled.png

My next steps are to export the HDF, launch SDK, create a simple "Hello World" template application, click on "Program FPGA" to load the bitstream, and finally "Launch Using System Debugger" to launch the application on the ZCU106 through JTAG.

I am able to get the "Hello World" application to execute successfully when I leave the default ZCU106 board settings alone in Vivado; However, when I ENABLE ECC in the PS settings, generate a new bitstream, and attempt to run using that new HDF: SDK consistently hangs at the psu_init.tcl stage.

I've repeated this with ECC On and Off multiple times and it seems the only variable that determines whether the initialization hangs is whether or not ECC is enabled for the DDR4 on the ZCU106 PS... 

My Setup:

* CentOS 7.5  64-bit (CentOS is running inside of an VirtualBox Virtual Machine on a Windows 7 Host machine). 

* Vivado & SDK 2018.1

* ZCU106 Rev 1.0 board

Is anyone out there successfully using ECC on the ZCU106 Rev 1.0? Any ideas on what I am missing here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer risamu
Observer

Re: Enabling ECC on ZCU106 board prevents Hello World's initialization

Jump to solution

For anyone experiencing the same problem, it turns out the fine folks at Xilinx have replaced the previously ECC-capable Kingston DDR4 SODIMM module with a non-ECC version by Micron...

So, despite being advertised as having "DDR4 SODIMM – 72-bit w/ ECC attached to processor subsystem" (source: https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/zcu106.html).. and despite the user guide claiming that it ships with a "PS-SIDE DDR4 SODIMM from Kingston P/N KVR21SE15S8/4    72 bit" (Source: UG1244 p.28).. The ZCU106 actually ships with a Micron MTA8ATF51264HZ-2G6B1 which does NOT support ECC.  I see that the old Kingston module is no longer available, so I'm assuming this was an obsolescence decision. 

@Xilinx, please save your customers the headache and update your website and your documentation (both referenced above) to reflect the fact that the ZCU106 board is NO LONGER SHIPPED WITH ECC CAPABILITY OUT OF THE BOX.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer risamu
Observer

Re: Enabling ECC on ZCU106 board prevents Hello World's initialization

Jump to solution

For anyone experiencing the same problem, it turns out the fine folks at Xilinx have replaced the previously ECC-capable Kingston DDR4 SODIMM module with a non-ECC version by Micron...

So, despite being advertised as having "DDR4 SODIMM – 72-bit w/ ECC attached to processor subsystem" (source: https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/zcu106.html).. and despite the user guide claiming that it ships with a "PS-SIDE DDR4 SODIMM from Kingston P/N KVR21SE15S8/4    72 bit" (Source: UG1244 p.28).. The ZCU106 actually ships with a Micron MTA8ATF51264HZ-2G6B1 which does NOT support ECC.  I see that the old Kingston module is no longer available, so I'm assuming this was an obsolescence decision. 

@Xilinx, please save your customers the headache and update your website and your documentation (both referenced above) to reflect the fact that the ZCU106 board is NO LONGER SHIPPED WITH ECC CAPABILITY OUT OF THE BOX.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos