UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer lbpxilinx
Observer

Error while running ps7_init method. Cannot Read from target.

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to using Zynq. I am working through a video tutorial at the moment. It is on Youtube under XilinxInc and it is called Building a Hardware and Software Project | Targeting the Zynq ZC702 Evaluation Kit.

I am using the Digilient Zybo development board which has the Zynq XC7Z010-CLG400 chip onboard instead of the Zynq ZC702 Evaluation Kit . I have been able to follow the tutorial up to that part where the instructor programs the FPGA (17mins 35secs) but I get the following error:-

Unexpected error while launching program: Error while running ps7_init method.
Cannot Read from target

MMU section translation fault

I have found people with the same error on this forum (plus I have Googled it) but there does not appear to be a definitive solution. As I read through the replies the suggestions given are very vague and do not seem to match my problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? If you need me to give more information please ask.

Thanks,

Lincoln

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Observer lbpxilinx
Observer

Re: Error while running ps7_init method. Cannot Read from target.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I just read another thread where they mention about it being a power supply issue. At the moment my Digilient Zybo board is being powered just by the USB cable. The power supply that came with the Zybo does not fit Australian power sockets so I need to buy an adapter soon. I added this just for more information.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This could happen if you have your boot mode switches set to boot from some non-volatile memory first which boots Linux and then you try to connect over jtag and run ps7_init
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor bilalhabib
Visitor

@bwiec: I am also getting the same error. My board is Zybo from digilent and the IC # is XC7Z010CLG400. I changed the boot option from SD to JTAG , however it didn't help. Additionally, I also tried QSPI , it didn't help either. I am trying the example 4A of "The Zynq book Tutorials". The Program FPGA step is successful, however when I try to Launch it on the Hardware (GDB) the error prompt comes up. It says "Unexpected error while launching program: Error while running ps7_init method. Cannot read from target
MMU section translation fault".

SDK version is 2014.4.

PC is 64 bit , Windows 8.1

Thanks,

Bil

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Bil,

The only cause that I know of for this error is that something is still booting an OS that uses the MMU. If nothing has booted and you try to run PS7_INIT, it should work fine. The PS7_INIT accesses the PS registers via physical addresses. Before the processor boots its OS, this is okay running baremetal. If you try to run ps7_init once, say, linux is booted (which uses MMU for memory virtualization), you'll get this message since you can no longer use physical addresses.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Observer samuelcotard
Observer

Hi Brian,

Thanks, it helped me.

On the microZed board, the solution was effectively to put jumper JP1, JP2,JP3 to boot on JTAG.

Regards

0 Kudos
Newbie lbickley

I had this same problem on a Diligent ZYBO board. As opposed to the documentation (which said have the boot jumper on "QSPI'), the jumper should be on "JTAG". Works everytime, now...

0 Kudos
Newbie jskim0407

Thank you very much for your comment on the jumper. Changing jumper setting to JTAG works very well.

Thanks again!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Sir,

I am facing the issue 

Unexpected error while launching program: Error while running ps7_init method. Cannot write to target Cannot access JTAG-DP: invalid ACK value (0x00, expected=0x02) Error Address = 0xf8000778

0 Kudos