Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

FSBL errors when programming PL

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I created a bootable image in SDK using the bootgen application.

The bootable image contains (in the following order):

-FSBL was created using the template in SDK.
-bitstream: custom (basic) project that contains an XPS system and some custom firmware logic.
-second stage bootloader

Now when I created the FSBL in SDK I set the FSBL_DEBUG and FSBL_DEBUG_INFO compilation flags and when I look at my COM PORT, it prints this:

Xilinx First Stage Boot Loader
Release 14.3 Apr 30 2013-09:34:36
Silicon Version 1.0
Boot mode is SD
Bitstream Download Start
...................................................................................................
...................................................................................................
Xilinx First Stage Boot Loader
Release 14.3 Apr 30 2013-09:34:36
Silicon Version 1.0
WDT_RESET_OCCURED
Boot mode is SD
Bitstream Download Start

And it just keeps printing that second part with the WDT_RESET_OCCURED.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks so much in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FSBL errors when programming PL

Jump to solution

I have actually gotten my issue resolved. Just an FYI to anyone else who could have this issue, the StartupClk:JtagClk option is what caused my issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I forgot to add that I left offset, alignment and allocation parameters blank when I generated the bootable image.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

WDT == Watch Dog Timer

You have created a watchdog timer, and you are not kicking (tickling, strobing) it, so it is timing out.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

But if nothing else is up and running (since it's still in the FSBL), what should be strobing/tickling the watchdog timer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Now you know why it is complaining!

Go back, find where you turned on the WDT, and don't enable it.  When you have a better understanding of how everything works, then I would suggest you use the WDT, if you want to....

Start as simple as you possibly can  Starting with everything all at once is very likely to cause you to lose your mind.  Not because there is anything 'wrong' with anything, but because it gets far too complex, far too fast.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

Thanks for your reply.

I figured out that my problem was that I used the predefined zc702_hw_platform in SDK when building my FSBL, which has the WDT defined, causing it to be initialized when the FSBL runs.

I fixed it by exporting my hardward from XPS (which has no WDT since I don't need it) and recreated by FSBL.

I got passed that issue but am now fighting another error.

From my debug output I get:

PCAP transfer timed out
 PCAP_FPGA_DONE_FAIL
BITSTREAM_DOWNLOAD_FAIL  FSBLStatus = 0xA005

(Entire log is attached)

Tracing through the FSBL, it looks as though it is timing out because it is waiting for the DONE signal from the PL.

I am beginning my in-depth review of my output log as well research into what could be causing this issue, but any insight is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

d,

Zynq initializes witht the processor having full control of the FPGA configuration (PCAP belongs to the processor, and must be released for the FPGA to use ICAP, for example).  If there is not a valid bitstream as part of the FSBL, then it will fail to program (there needs to be at least a dummy, or valid blank bitsream to load so you can get to DONE goes high).

Was there a valid bitstream to add to the fsbl?

Another possibility is that the LOCKED signals on the MMCM's, DCI, etc. may be used to gate DONE going high,  Is there anything in your design that requires those signals?  If so, check the bitstream options and change them so DONE is not gated by those signals.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

Yes, I included a valid bistream when using bootgen.

Also

(1) In my design, I actually do not have any MMCM's instantiated in my design

(2) I am using the following bitgen command when generating my bitstream.

bitgen -g StartupClk:JtagClk -intstyle ise -w my_test.ncd my_test_cs.bit my_test.pcf

When you say, change them so DONE is not gated by those signals, do you mean the -LCK_cycle option?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

If so, I believe the default option is NoWait.... but maybe I need to set the Match_cycle option... the UG says it defaults to Auto... should I set it to NoWait?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I actually just regenerated my bitstream with both options and it still times out.

bitgen -g StartupClk:JtagClk -g Match_cycle:NoWait -g LCK_cycle:NoWait -intstyle ise -w my_test.ncd my_test_cs.bit my_test.pcf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have actually gotten my issue resolved. Just an FYI to anyone else who could have this issue, the StartupClk:JtagClk option is what caused my issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have this problem with my target open in Vivado via JTAG. It bricks the FPGA bitsteram transfer. Simply closing the server solves the problem for me, there is nothing wrong with the boot per se.

vivado_hw_man.png
0 Kudos