UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor sgsnow
Visitor

Fastest method for outputting data to pc.

Jump to solution

Hello! 

I am an engineering intern working on a DSP project using a Zedboard and the AD9364 tranceiver from analog devices

I am trying to learn how to output data to a pc as fast as possible. 

The project requires that I run the tranceiver's sampling rate at 28MHz. Each sample is 4 bytes, so that's roughly 100MBps. Currently, I am outputting the data from the zedboard's memory using xil_printf to tera term and formatting in a csv. However, xil_printf is too slow to keep up with the capture rate, and the system lags. I have looked into using the XUart functionality, but it seems that the highest baud rate is 115200, which would also be too slow?

In general, what is the fastest way to ouput data from the zedboard? How do DSP projects usually handle exporting large amounts of data real time?

I am very new to this, and I apologize if anything is unclear or naive. Thank you very much for your help!

-Scott

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Fastest method for outputting data to pc.

Jump to solution

Normally you would just avoid outputting large amounts of data in real-time. The big advantage of something like the Zynq is that you can do all the processing on-chip, without needing to send large amounts of data to a PC for additional processing. Where data does need to be sent to a PC quickly, normally a PCIe development board would be used.

100MB/s is a pretty substantial data rate. The only interface on the Zedboard that might handle it is the 1Gbps ethernet - although that will have overheads and I'm not 100% confident that you'll be able to maintain a steady 100MB/s.

3 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Normally you would just avoid outputting large amounts of data in real-time. The big advantage of something like the Zynq is that you can do all the processing on-chip, without needing to send large amounts of data to a PC for additional processing. Where data does need to be sent to a PC quickly, normally a PCIe development board would be used.

100MB/s is a pretty substantial data rate. The only interface on the Zedboard that might handle it is the 1Gbps ethernet - although that will have overheads and I'm not 100% confident that you'll be able to maintain a steady 100MB/s.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@u4223374 wrote:

If it were me, I would investigate having the FPGA directly place data into jumbo frame'd ethernet (maybe without IP on top) in a pure layer2 environment. That might do it.

But even Windows can sometimes choke on a full Gb of bandwidth.

Now -- if you had dual Gb Ethernet interfaces and the FPGA directly pumped into those -- the interfaces should handle it... (as well as the receiving PCs that need to record/process the data)

Visitor sgsnow
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you very much for your reply! This clears up a lot.
0 Kudos