UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor paradoxfx
Visitor

How can PL use clock from PS

Jump to solution

I've already configured PS to make it output FCLK_CLK0 to PL. The HDL code is already written in PL (IP core not used). The question is how to use FCLK_CLK0 clock in PL? It's not a FPGA pin, and I can't find the signal.
Besides, I've created the Wrapper.v for the ARM PS. But it seems this file can't be modified. So how can the Wrapper.v work together with my hand written HDL code?
Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: How can PL use clock from PS

Jump to solution
You need to instantiate the PS module in your top level RTL file. Top level or chip level design includes the PS and anything you need to define in PL. The FCLK_CLK0 signal is an output from PS so you can define a wire at top level, connect it to PS output and use it or you can define a PL top, instantiate PS and PL top at the chip top level and make FCLK_CLK0 an input to PL top and go from there.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
You need to instantiate the PS module in your top level RTL file. Top level or chip level design includes the PS and anything you need to define in PL. The FCLK_CLK0 signal is an output from PS so you can define a wire at top level, connect it to PS output and use it or you can define a PL top, instantiate PS and PL top at the chip top level and make FCLK_CLK0 an input to PL top and go from there.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Please check the following design. It uses the FCLK0 for BRAM in the PL.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/47266.html

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Visitor paradoxfx
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. Could the top level RTL be a HDL file, then I instantiate the PS-wrapper.v and other hand-written HDL  from the top HDL?

0 Kudos
Visitor paradoxfx
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Vivado and I can get the FCLK clock for the IPcores in PL by using the IP integrator. The question is the HDL is hand-written, so I could not use the same method to wire my block into PS block.

In other words, I'm using a low cost ZYNQ board called 'MicroZed'.  It only has one external clock for PS, not for PL, and I don't have the interface card, so I must introduce the clock from PS into PL. At present, the PL parts is very simple, it only need an external clock and do not have other relation to PS...

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

>> Could the top level RTL be a HDL file, then I instantiate the PS-wrapper.v and other hand-written HDL from the top HDL?

Yes, absolutely.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yes you could

0 Kudos
Visitor paradoxfx
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks. I'll have a try.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you for your effort.

But can you elaborate a bit more please.

0 Kudos
Visitor truptic91
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working on xc7z100ffg900 in Vivado 2016.4.

I want PS clock in PL.

I have instantiated ZYNQ7_processing _system block in my top module as you mentioned. In ZYNQ7_processing_system, other applications are also initialized along with PL clocks. By PS generated PL clock, I am driving a simple counter in my top module.

In synthesis, its not giving any error but its not locking pins of PS module. Whereas in system generated XDC, pins are mapped properly.

After implementation, I am getting critical warnings for each MIO pins.

Those are mainly:

[Netlist 29-160] Cannot set property 'iostandard', because the property does not exist for objects of type 'pin'. ["/zynqn/zynqn.srcs/sources_1/bd/PS_Block/ip/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1.xdc":33]

[Netlist 29-160] Cannot set property 'PACKAGE_PIN', because the property does not exist for objects of type 'pin'. ["zynqn/zynqn.srcs/sources_1/bd/PS_Block/ip/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1.xdc":34]

[Netlist 29-160] Cannot set property 'slew', because the property does not exist for objects of type 'pin'. ["/zynqn/zynqn.srcs/sources_1/bd/PS_Block/ip/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1.xdc":35]

[Netlist 29-160] Cannot set property 'drive', because the property does not exist for objects of type 'pin'. ["/zynqn/zynqn.srcs/sources_1/bd/PS_Block/ip/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1.xdc":36]

[Netlist 29-160] Cannot set property 'pullup', because the property does not exist for objects of type 'pin'. ["/zynqn/zynqn.srcs/sources_1/bd/PS_Block/ip/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1.xdc":37]

[Netlist 29-160] Cannot set property 'PIO_DIRECTION', because the property does not exist for objects of type 'pin'. ["/zynqn/zynqn.srcs/sources_1/bd/PS_Block/ip/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1/PS_Block_processing_system7_0_1.xdc":38]

The XDC pointed in warnings, is system generated.

How can I verify that whether my connections are correct or not? and why is it giving critical warnings when XDC is system generated?

I am attaching the screenshot of system generated XDC and critical warnings.

Thanking in advance.

Screenshot from 2017-04-21 19:39:07.png

Screenshot from 2017-04-21 19:40:09.png

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

@truptic91You don't need any constraints for MIO pins at all. They are at fixed locations and their VCCIO levels are setup within PS7 configuration in Vivado and communicated over hdf file to FSBL. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor truptic91
Visitor

Jump to solution

@muzaffer I am not constraining any MIO through xdc.

The screenshot which I have attached is system/tool generated xdc. I didn't write it.

But while making build,  its giving critical warning and I can't see that pin is locked.

For eg. I am using UART from MIO. The pin mapping for it, is-

RX- Package pin: A20- MIO38

TX- Package pin: F18- MIO39

but I cannot see that those pins are locked.

whereas package pin F15 is locked with some signals in top module. There is -- in symbol.

on the other hand UART Rx pin- A20 is unmapped. you can see it screenshots below.

My question is how to verify pin mapping for MIO when its not shown in synthesis/implementation?

Thanks

pin_mapping1.png

pin_mapping2.png

0 Kudos