UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to create a boot image for Microblaze

Hi,

I have built a microblaze system with SPI flash and local memory (non-DDR).  I'm wondering how to build a boot image combining FPGA and microblaze application firmware that loads from the serial flash to on chip local memory and runs from the local memory. 

I use Vivado 2013.4 to generate the bit image and SDK to generate the application firmware.

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to create a boot image for Microblaze

Hi Henry

Refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1176-xip-axi-quad-spi-ipi.pdf

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hem,

Thanks for your link.

Henry

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hem,

I downloaded the example design and run the all.tcl to generate the block design.  There is an error message:

ERROR: [Common 17-55] 'set_property' expects at least one object.

while executing
"rdi::set_property offset 0xC4000000 {}"
    invoked from within
"set_property offset 0xC4000000 [get_bd_addr_segs {/microblaze_1/Instruction/SEG14}]"
    (file "C:/svn/IZ_Corp/kc705_xip_quad_mode/HW/all.tcl" line 285)

I am wondering how to fix it.

Thanks

Henry

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Henry

The XAPP was built for 2013.2  so have a look at the hardware and create this as a new design in the version that you are using.

--Hem

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Observer kpiter
Observer

the same error with vivado 2013.2

Also I got warnings before error:

WARNING: [BD 5-234] No nets matched 'get_bd_nets /Net4'
# connect_bd_net -net [get_bd_net /Net4] [get_bd_pins /axi_intc_1/Processor_rst] [get_bd_pins /proc_sys_reset_1/MB_Reset]
# connect_bd_net [get_bd_pins /proc_sys_reset_1/Bus_Struct_Reset] [get_bd_pins /lmb_v10_2/SYS_Rst]
WARNING: [BD 5-234] No nets matched 'get_bd_nets /Net5'
# connect_bd_net -net [get_bd_net /Net5] [get_bd_pins /lmb_v10_1/SYS_Rst] [get_bd_pins /proc_sys_reset_1/Bus_Struct_Reset]
# connect_bd_net -net [get_bd_net /Net5] [get_bd_pins /lmb_bram_if_cntlr_1/LMB_Rst] [get_bd_pins /proc_sys_reset_1/Bus_Struct_Reset]
# connect_bd_net -net [get_bd_net /Net5] [get_bd_pins /lmb_bram_if_cntlr_2/LMB_Rst] [get_bd_pins /proc_sys_reset_1/Bus_Struct_Reset]
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can follow the steps given in http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63605.html

Please feel free to modify the linker script to run SREC bootloader from Microblaze local memory and user application from BRAM or viceversa.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos