UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to use OCM for dual cores on zynq

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to run both cores on zynq under system debugger. However, when I run both cores, core0 behaves weird. It seems run to a weird place.

1.PNG

I check the assemble code, it is weird too.

2.PNG

However, when I run core0 alone, it is normal:

3.PNG

4.PNG

here is my two linker.ld for core0 and core1:

5.PNG6.PNG

The .text is located in ram_0 and ram_1, all other sections located in ddr.

If I change the .text in core0 to ddr, both cores can run normally. So I guess it's a problem of ocm allocation.

Is there anything wrong with my linker file? Any rules or constraints in using ocm??

Best Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: How to use OCM for dual cores on zynq

Jump to solution

Thank you, @cch

I've read xapp 1079, however it does not help me much. Since the example design doesnot use OCM much, only use as a global sync flag. And I don't see any helpful info when I read the linker script of this example. 

I'm using SDK 2017.4. bare-metal on both cores. My goal is to use a part of  OCM as shared memory between two cores and the other part of OCM is divided by two cores as two private memories.

I changed my linker script of core1 , the only difference from the linker.ld in my last post is that I changed ps_ram_1's base and size to 0x20000 and 0x10000. The linker.ld of core0 stayed the same as my last post shows.

7.PNG

The weird behavior on core0 has gone. But I still don't see the real problem.

Can you help me with this?

Best regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The cores are not completely independent, they are part of a cluster that share resources.

Take a look at XAPP1079 which provides information on how to run a bare metal AMP system on Zynq-7000.

Regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you, @cch

I've read xapp 1079, however it does not help me much. Since the example design doesnot use OCM much, only use as a global sync flag. And I don't see any helpful info when I read the linker script of this example. 

I'm using SDK 2017.4. bare-metal on both cores. My goal is to use a part of  OCM as shared memory between two cores and the other part of OCM is divided by two cores as two private memories.

I changed my linker script of core1 , the only difference from the linker.ld in my last post is that I changed ps_ram_1's base and size to 0x20000 and 0x10000. The linker.ld of core0 stayed the same as my last post shows.

7.PNG

The weird behavior on core0 has gone. But I still don't see the real problem.

Can you help me with this?

Best regards

View solution in original post

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

There are no issues sharing the OCM as long as your linker script for each core does not overlap.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure to use the symbol "USE_AMP" when compiling for core 1
  2. The OCM map out of reset is:0x0 to 0x2_FFFF (192KB) and 0xFFFF_0000 to 0xFFFF_FFFF (64KB). Some locations in the higher OCM are used to keep core1 in WFE state. Refer to Chapter 29 of the TRM

If you are seeing runtime issues I would recommend stepping through your code to see what is happening.

Regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos