UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a 0.42dmips/mhz score when running dhrystone project on the typical configuration microblaze based on 2017.1 sdk.

Jump to solution
Hello everyone, According to the below link, the microblaze dmips score is good. https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/microblaze.html But I got a 0.42dmips/mhz score when running dhrystone project on the typical configuration microblaze based on 2017.1 sdk. The microblaze configuration on vivado 2017.1 as attched. On sdk, create a new project with dhrystone example. The score as attached, with only 0.42dmips/mhz score. How to explain ? Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: I got a 0.42dmips/mhz score when running dhrystone project on the typical configuration microblaze based on 2017.1 sdk.

Jump to solution

Hi xingfeng.chen@avnet.com

Would you confirm your design's clock frequency on MicroBlaze and device family ?

I'm sure that your score is suitable with your environment (clock frequency and device family).

Because of your design's clock frequency seems 100MHz. It is not maximum frequency on the following URL.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/microblaze.html

Best regards,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: I got a 0.42dmips/mhz score when running dhrystone project on the typical configuration microblaze based on 2017.1 sdk.

Jump to solution

Hi xingfeng.chen@avnet.com

Would you confirm your design's clock frequency on MicroBlaze and device family ?

I'm sure that your score is suitable with your environment (clock frequency and device family).

Because of your design's clock frequency seems 100MHz. It is not maximum frequency on the following URL.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/microblaze.html

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Hi Watari, Yes, my clock frequency is 100MHz. Following your advice, I modified the clock frequency to 120MHz. The dmips/mhz is 0.5. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

xingfeng.chen@avnet.com  Make sure you are running  a RELEASE build. 

I am running microblaze on a ZCU102. 

I got 96/100 with a Debug build and 267/100 with a release build.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi hbucher,

I changed the build from debug to release. It took 463638 cycles of 120MHz clock at debug build, and 160839 cycles of 120MHz clock at release build, when executed the default 400 times of dhrystone program. The scores are 49/100 at debug build and 141/100 at release build.

I modified the dmips_per_mhz equation, I am not sure if it is correct, as below.

/* calculate and print dmips/mhz */

//float dmips_per_mhz = ((float)Number_Of_Runs/1757 * (FREQ_HZ/100))/(float)(User_Time * FSL_PRESCALE);

double dmips_per_mhz = ((double)Number_Of_Runs * (FREQ_HZ/120))/(double)(User_Time * FSL_PRESCALE * 1757);

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Observer eshopper
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi ,

could you please share how you modified/edited the SDK Dhrystone Template to actually measure the time and produce results.
The SDK original source obviously has commented out all timing measures.
All attempts to un-comment the "if 0 / endif " statements around the timing functions produce a number of different errors.

How is  the timing actually obtained in basic Microblaze project (AXI_Timer required?), what #define variables and headers need to be included, what functions are used? times() in the source code does not work out of the box.

Thanks

0 Kudos