UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant bryan.althouse
Participant

Incorrect UDP size when sending jumbo (LWIP)

Hi all,

I'm trying to send 6000 byte UDP packets from an ISR that is triggered at a 8000 Hz rate.  This is 384Mbits/s.  I have had success with this, but whenever I set my packet size to be >= 1500, the length field of the UDP packet does not match the actual UDP payload length. 

For example, if I do the pbuf_alloc() with a size of 6000 and then send this pbuf with udp_sendto():  wireshark reports that the UDP header is showing a size of 6058, but that the actual UDP payload is only 5768 bytes long.

Similarly,  if I do the pbuf_alloc() with a size of 1500 and then send this pbuf with udp_sendto():  wireshark reports that the UDP header is showing a size of 1558, but that the actual UDP payload is only 1512 bytes long.

On the other hand, if I do the pbuf_alloc() with a size of 1400 and then send this pbuf with udp_sendto():  wireshark reports that the UDP header is showing a size of 1458, and this matches the UDP payload!

My setup is the ML507 board.  I started from the ml507_std_ip_pcores_ppc440 reference design.  I removed the Hard_Ethernet_MAC_fifo, and configured for SDMA, using the ml507_ppc440_temac reference design as an example.  I have set the Hard_Ethernet_Mac's TX fifo to the max size.  LWIP is configured for the RAW API, with ip_frag_max_mtu set to 8000, and n_tx_descriptors has been increased to 262144.  I have disabled UDP checksum generation by adding "#define CHECKSUM_GEN_UDP 0" to the opt.h file.  I'm using the 10.1 EDK.

One interesting thing is that if I go back to the original  ml507_std_ip_pcores_ppc440 hardware with the Hard_Ethernet_MAC_fifo instead of SDMA, the 1500 byte senario produces valid UDP packets!  The UDP header says 1558, which matches the UDP payload size.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get Jumbo packets to work with the Hard_Ethernet_MAC_fifo, so I cannot try packets bigger than this.

Because the 1500 byte packet works for the  Hard_Ethernet_MAC_fifo implementation, but not the SDMA, I'm guessing that there is a bug in the SDMA code of the xilinx adaptor.  The other thing that I don't understand is that the UDP size is larger than the space that I allocated with the pbuf_alloc()!  This second item might just be a feature of LWIP that I don't yet understand.  What I consider the bigger issue is that the stack is not producing valid jumbo UDP packets. 

Bryan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Participant bryan.althouse
Participant

Re: Incorrect UDP size when sending jumbo (LWIP)

It looks like I fixed this on my own.  I am now creating valid UDP Jumbo packets.  In xlltemacif_sdma.c, I changed the following code from:

if (q->len > (XTE_MAX_FRAME_SIZE - 18))
     XLlDma_mBdSetLength(txbd, (XTE_MAX_FRAME_SIZE - 18));

to:

if (q->len > (XTE_MAX_JUMBO_FRAME_SIZE - 18))
     XLlDma_mBdSetLength(txbd, (XTE_MAX_JUMBO_FRAME_SIZE - 18));

I'm not sure how I was able to create jumbo packets at all before.  It looks like the original code would have totally prevented me from creating payload over 1500 bytes, but somehow I was getting payload that was just  a few hundred bytes short of the 6000 that I wanted.  I'll continue to test this solution.

Also, I figured out the discrepancy between the size of my pbuf_alloc, and the resulting UDP payload.  (I was allocating 6000, but the UDP payload was trying to be 6050).  This was caused by not understanding the LWIP API.  I changed my pbuf_alloc from:

p_bryan = pbuf_alloc(PBUF_TRANSPORT, 6000, PBUF_POOL);

to:

p_bryan = pbuf_alloc(PBUF_RAW, 6000, PBUF_POOL);

which now make sense to me.

I hope this helps someone.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Incorrect UDP size when sending jumbo (LWIP)

Hi,

Be careful with jumbos!!! Only 1GE and beyond must support that UNSPECIFIED length!

Assumtion:

- Jumbo = 9000Bytes -> payload of the ethernet MAC frame = 8982Bytes (length is related to the MAC frame)

- Normal = 1500Bytes -> payload of the ethernet MAC frame = 1500Bytes (length isrelated to the payload of the MAC frame)

Kai

0 Kudos