UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor vineeshvs
Visitor

Is it necessary to have a processing system (Microblaze in my case) in a design?

Jump to solution

Hi,

We have a custom processor design and we plan to build a system with UART, PCI, Ethernet etc. Is it necessary to use Microblaze processor or any PS IP from Xilinx to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Re: Is it necessary to have a processing system (Microblaze in my case) in a design?

Jump to solution

@vineeshvs

A bare metal solution (all PL) is fine if you have a clock to drive.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Re: Is it necessary to have a processing system (Microblaze in my case) in a design?

Jump to solution

@vineeshvs

A bare metal solution (all PL) is fine if you have a clock to drive.

0 Kudos
Visitor vineeshvs
Visitor

Jump to solution

Okay. Any tutorials/ example projects?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vineeshvs,

There is an example project available in Vivado with Open risc CPU, you can take reference from there. In order the add UART controller and Ethernet block, you can refer to microblaze example project.

forum1.PNG

You can also refer to some open source CPU projects available on internet. If I remember correctly Princeton university has developed a similar design with their opensource processor named Openpiton with Xilinx FPGA. You can take reference from there, they have good amount of documentation available for that. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Chinmay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Jump to solution

Here's an example Verilog project that uses the ZipCPU on an Arty board.  You'll find a lot of documentation about the components of this design on the ZipCPU blog.

Dan

Jump to solution

Hi @vineeshvs,

It is not necessary to use Microbalze or PS processor. You can use you customer processor design with peripherals as well.

Not sure what issues are you encountering by doing such step.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos