UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor gvilanovaf
Visitor

Is possible connect FPD-Link III devices to Zynq IOSERDES?

Hi all,

Nowadays we use IOSERDES to connect a FPD-Link II device to Zynq and, in near future, we would like to use FPD-Link III devices. Main problem is that FPD-Link II is based on LVDS and FPD-Link III is based on CML, and I have several doubts that we can use IOSERDES for CML reception.

Anyone could confirm if is possible receive CML signals on IOSERDES?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is possible connect FPD-Link III devices to Zynq IOSERDES?

CML (Current Mode Logic ) differential IO standard is not an officially supported Standard so it is no possible to have a CML input or output pin. The key benefit of CML is its ability to tolerate common mode noise. It may possible to use LVDS/LVPECL kind of other differential IOSTANDARDS to interface with CML, this is discussed in the following application note: http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/scaa059c/scaa059c.pdf on page 11 it shows how to interface with LVDS.

Please note that transitioning between desperate I/O types can be problematic if you fail to consider their technological differences. Note that the customer should fully simulate this to ensure that the interface will work as expected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor gvilanovaf
Visitor

Well, I can see that is possible. 

But, Do you think that is feasible for a FPD-Link III connection @ 1,4Gbps?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Which device are you targeting? XC7Z010/020/030/045?

If you are targeting XC7Z010 or 020 then 1.4 Gb/s is not possible. See the first attachment.

If it is 030 or 045 then it is possible. Please see second attachment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Capture1.PNG
Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Visitor gvilanovaf
Visitor

Our target is XC7Z020, speed grade -2. It's for a megapixel camera, 1,4Gbps is the higher limit.

Anyway, we can suppose 1,2Gbps, do you think that this option could be feasible?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

1.2 Gb/s is possible with -2/-3 speed grade devices.

0 Kudos
Visitor cesarproano
Visitor

Is possible that you can provide me with some tips on how to implement FPD-Link II in Zynq ? is there any IP core that I can use? I am trying to connect the FPGA directly to DS90UR241 from TI.

Is there body already tried it before?

0 Kudos
Visitor cesarproano
Visitor

Is possible that you can provide me with some tips on how to implement FPD-Link II in Zynq ? is there any IP core that I can use? I am trying to connect the FPGA directly to DS90UR241 from TI.

Is there body already tried it before?

0 Kudos