UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor waszil
Visitor

Little-endian MicroBlaze register bit numbering

Hi!

I'm a bit confused. If I look at the Microblaze Processor Reference Guide (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug984-vivado-microblaze-ref.pdf), for example the MSR (machine status register), and look at the bit DCE (data cache enable), it is specified as the 24. bit.

However, the assembly code for enabling data cache, does this:

microblaze_enable_dcache.S:

mfs r8, rmsr
ori r8, r8, 0x80
mts rmsr, r8

That 0x80 is the total opposite of what I would write based on the ReferenceGuide: 1<<24 would be 0x1000000.

0x80 is 1<<(31-24), so it seems to me, that the actual bit numbers are as they would be reversed in the 32bit register.

If we have a look at the code for MMU configuration in the Xilkernel, this is the same for the TLBHI/TLBLO register manipulation code as well (mpu.c)

What is the reason for this?

(I'm using MicroBlaze with C_ENDIANNESS: little-endian on Zynq)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor waszil
Visitor

Re: Little-endian MicroBlaze register bit numbering

I found this in the reference: "bit-reversed format". Does it mean this? Why would anybody do this? It is very misleading.
0 Kudos
Visitor waszil
Visitor

Re: Little-endian MicroBlaze register bit numbering

Even the official Xilinx Linux kernel (https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/ebfe386588bfbda9b9ad153d4bcd56d452e8c98f/arch/microblaze/include/asm/registers.h) defines these bits like this:
#define MSR_DCE (1<<7) /* 0x080 */
Why can't you put it into the reference like that?
0 Kudos