UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor atmosfir
Visitor

MCDMA or Multiple DMAs? Single HP port or Multiple HP ports?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to build a axi-stream based co-processor. I want to accelerate a parallizeable algorithm, and I have succesfully implemented and tested my custom verilog based AXI stream IP with a typical DMA-interrupt and through a single HP port. Now, I want to increase parallelism in the co-processor by adding more AXI-Streams. I have found that there are multiple ways to do this.

1. Use multiple DMAs

2. Use Mulitple Channel DMA IP (MCDMA)

My first question, is there a diffrence in performance in both implementations? Say 2 DMAs and 2 channel MCDMA.

I have also read through this presentation about Co-accelaretor architecture

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 21.18.12.png

This presentations infers that it recommends to use one HP port and 2 DMAs to feed into 2 accelerators. My question is

1 HP port for multiple DMAs or an HP port for each DMA?

Why and whats the diffrence?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MCDMA or Multiple DMAs? Single HP port or Multiple HP ports?

Jump to solution

Hi @atmosfir,

If you are trying to maximize bandwidth, you are better off using AXI DMA over AXI MCDMA. The reason is that while MCDMA has a nicer register interface to support multiple channels, those multiple channels all share a single stream/memory mapped AXI interface. If you use two AXI DMAs, both channels have a dedicated stream/memory mapped interface. 

Similarly, if you need a lot of bandwidth, you should dedicate AXI_DMA0 to AXI_HP0 and AXI_DMA1 to AXI_HP1. This way you have dedicated parallel channels for each AXI DMA.

Regards,

Deanna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @atmosfir,

If you are trying to maximize bandwidth, you are better off using AXI DMA over AXI MCDMA. The reason is that while MCDMA has a nicer register interface to support multiple channels, those multiple channels all share a single stream/memory mapped AXI interface. If you use two AXI DMAs, both channels have a dedicated stream/memory mapped interface. 

Similarly, if you need a lot of bandwidth, you should dedicate AXI_DMA0 to AXI_HP0 and AXI_DMA1 to AXI_HP1. This way you have dedicated parallel channels for each AXI DMA.

Regards,

Deanna

View solution in original post

Visitor atmosfir
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello thank you for your answer. I have a follow up question. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "dedicating" each HP port to each DMA? Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @atmosfir ,

Let's say you have two AXI DMA IPs in your system and they both need to get to PS DRAM. You can choose to have those two AXI DMAs go through a SmartConnect and share S_AXI_HP0_FPD.

But let's say you have analyzed the bandwidth needs of your AXI DMAs and don't think a single S_AXI port to PS DDR can meet your requirements. You could instead choose to have AXI DMA 0 hook up to S_AXI_HP0_FPD and AXI DMA 1 hook up to S_AXI_HP1_FPD. 

Regards,

Deanna

Visitor atmosfir
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @demarco 

Thank you for the timely answer. Is this possible with a zynq 7000 SoCs, that do not have HP_FPD ports?

and can you confirm that this is the architecture you are pointing to?

Screenshot from 2019-07-24 10-33-16.png

Thank you so much for your time.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @atmosfir,

Yes, the same reasoning would apply to Zynq-7000 and its S_AXI_HP ports. Your block diagram implements the "I need more bandwidth" scenario.

Regards,

Deanna