UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ccthx1138
Observer

MicroBlaze for Spartan-6 in vivado... legacy version required?

Jump to solution

Hi all.  So I am considering Spartan-6 for a new design, as Spartan-6 is supported by AD10 design platform, but I have read that a 'legacy' version of Vivado is required to use MicroBlaze processor on Spartan-6.  Is this true?  

If so, is this version still available?, and what is it called?

Just how 'legacy' is it - will the latest Vivado be a much better starting point for entrance into the Xilinx development system?

Finally, I'm just diving into Vivado, and every bit of help, streamlining, and higher level of abstraction is going to help me get up to speed - how does the legacy Vivado compare to the latest in this regard?  Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  

Cheers,

Bob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: MicroBlaze for Spartan-6 in vivado... legacy version required?

Jump to solution

@ccthx1138 

> If so, is this version still available?, and what is it called?

It is called ISE Design Suite. I loved it - when I used it. It's been a few years.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite.html

It is a very good tool.

> will the latest Vivado be a much better starting point for entrance into the Xilinx development system?

In my opinion - yes, hands down.  Although it depends on what you are doing. 

Vivado is more modern. It supports all the new devices and it is integrated with Vivado SDK, Vivado HLS, SDSoC, SDx.

But you'd have to use ISE for CLPDs and older devices like Spartan-6. Spartan-7 are supported by Vivado though.

> Just how 'legacy' is it 

ISE is still actively supported. The latest version for Windows 10 was last updated December 2017 but that's just bug updates, no enhancements (I believe). This is the same version (14.7) released in October 2013, four years ago.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/v2012_4---14_7.html

> how does the legacy Vivado compare to the latest in this regard?

There is no competition. If you want to code for Xilinx devices, which are currently the top/best in the market, you have to use Vivado.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

With the Spartan 6 you can't use Vivado at all; no version of Vivado supports anything earlier than the 7-series.

Instead you'd be limited to ISE, which is pretty old and doesn't tend to play well with modern operating systems (Xilinx's advice for running ISE on Windows 10 is basically "install a Linux virtual machine and run ISE on that"). ISE also tends to make you pay for a lot of things that are free in Vivado - I have a suspicion that Microblaze is one of these.

For a new design, I would not consider a Spartan 6. Spartan 7 or Zynq 7000 is the way to go. Spartan 7 is a fairly close equivalent to the Spartan 6, Zynq 7000 gives you a fast ARM CPU that might eliminate your need for MicroBlaze. Either will work in the latest version of Vivado.

Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ccthx1138 

> If so, is this version still available?, and what is it called?

It is called ISE Design Suite. I loved it - when I used it. It's been a few years.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite.html

It is a very good tool.

> will the latest Vivado be a much better starting point for entrance into the Xilinx development system?

In my opinion - yes, hands down.  Although it depends on what you are doing. 

Vivado is more modern. It supports all the new devices and it is integrated with Vivado SDK, Vivado HLS, SDSoC, SDx.

But you'd have to use ISE for CLPDs and older devices like Spartan-6. Spartan-7 are supported by Vivado though.

> Just how 'legacy' is it 

ISE is still actively supported. The latest version for Windows 10 was last updated December 2017 but that's just bug updates, no enhancements (I believe). This is the same version (14.7) released in October 2013, four years ago.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/v2012_4---14_7.html

> how does the legacy Vivado compare to the latest in this regard?

There is no competition. If you want to code for Xilinx devices, which are currently the top/best in the market, you have to use Vivado.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.

View solution in original post