UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microblaze FSL Read/Write timing analysis. Some suggestions?

Hello.

I am new to xilinx design tools and processes so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I am trying to perform a timing analysis for read and write operations that occur over the FSL interface on the Microblaze.  Using the XPS design tools I created a Microblaze-based system using the Base System Builder Wizard.  I just followed a tutorial example for the BSB on the ML501 dev board.  I created a "custom IP" using the IP import wizard and connected it through the FSL interface.  I just used the example accumulator provided with the design tools.  Using the example design code given for the software project I can see a read and write operation occur over the FSL Bus.  So far, my understanding from the documentation is that it takes 2 clock cycles to place a 32-bit value from a register in the microblaze's register file unto the FIFO structure of the FSL Bus.  How long does it take to read from the FIFO structure and place that value into a register?  Is there a way to physically view this? Meaning, is there a way to view these operations as they occur on a wave form, or does microblaze have a timestamp register (rdtsc() equivalent instruction)?  If I've left out anything please let me know.  Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

J

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Re: Microblaze FSL Read/Write timing analysis. Some suggestions?

There are a few ways to benchmark the FSL:

- simulate the design (including the code you're using)

- analyze disassembled code 

- toggle an IO before and after FSL access and observe it in ChipScope or Logic Analyzer

OutputLogic 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Microblaze FSL Read/Write timing analysis. Some suggestions?

I would recommend you to do a sw profiling. It's simple to do it using XMD, which you can launch in EDK. Be aware to set memory space for the profiling. The result will show you how much time a sw funnction takes to run in seconds. It is based on gprof utility.Take  a look at http://ecee.colorado.edu/~ecen4633/LAB/edk_prof.pdf

You can also use EDK-SDK instead if you want, instead of XPS.

This should do what you want.

Best,

JM

Message Edited by jmonteiro-dme on 06-25-2009 08:07 AM
0 Kudos