UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor patmcn
Visitor

Migrate from Block Design to RTL?

Jump to solution

I have several Ultrascale+ dev boards in use with other vendor dev boards and all the vendor dev boards use blocks to design their projects.  Is there any way to go from using the block design of a completed project to using source files? 

My project flow is non-project based and usually withought opening up the Vivado GUI.  I have a lot of custom IP that I'd like to integrate into my design but the block designs make it impossible to use any IP in my design flow. Any suggestions?  I'd rather write the vhdl from scratch than move forward using the block design flow.

Disclaimer - I'm new to FPGA work but have been a board designer for years.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: Migrate from Block Design to RTL?

Jump to solution
I cant access git hub at present,
typically all these things do is generate the folders and files needed for the tools to open the design.

Its just a "convenient" way to distribute all the design parts needed in Zynq type designs where C code as well as HDL code, boot loaders et all is required.

So all the source files are then available to you,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Jump to solution

what do you mean by block design ?

can you show us an example please

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor patmcn
Visitor

Jump to solution

Sure.  The one that I'm working on currently is the ADRV9009 dev board with the ZCU102.   Their scripts build a block design from what I can gather:

https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/hdl/tree/master/projects/adrv9009/zcu102

But another example are the example designs provided for the ZCU102 (example: XTP431) that seem to show up using the block designer which abstract the source code.  Maybe I'm just a dummy and don't know how to extract that.... 

0 Kudos
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Jump to solution
I cant access git hub at present,
typically all these things do is generate the folders and files needed for the tools to open the design.

Its just a "convenient" way to distribute all the design parts needed in Zynq type designs where C code as well as HDL code, boot loaders et all is required.

So all the source files are then available to you,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor patmcn
Visitor

Jump to solution

So if I dig into the folder "../zcu102_ipi\zcu102_ipi.srcs\sources_1\bd\system\ip" I can see the source files.  Would you say that is where I can find them?

0 Kudos
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Jump to solution
from my memory that sounds right,

IP, is just that, intellectual property, now as to if the files are readable or not depends .

I think this is analog devices code, so they should know.

Can I ask, have you done any vivado design work before ?

0 Kudos
Visitor patmcn
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

No, I haven't picked up anything this complicated before.  I have a little Arty board at home that I've been able to successfuly program but all I'm doing is playing around with LEDs and switches.  I had to bring in an MMCM for some clocking I needed through the GUI to get a template, so I can see how it doesn't take much before I have to rely on the GUI to get my work done.  

Any recommendations to help get my feet wet and learn build processes and such?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Jump to solution
sounds like your doing great,

take off the shelf proven designs,
test them , modify and repeat,
Visitor patmcn
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos