UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer umer.sabeen
Observer

PS-PL voltage level shifter

Hello

I am new in vivado,

I want to transfer (transmit/receive) data through SPI, following is my design.

Screenshot from 2016-01-08 11:40:52.png

As in the documents said , spi0_ss or spi1_ss should be connected to the VCC. i did that  and the second thing is hoe can i enable LVL_SHFTR_EN , because in the ug898 it is clearly written "You must enable the PL level shifters using LVL_SHFTR_EN before PL logic communication can occur.

thanks in advance

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PS-PL voltage level shifter

umer.sabeen mentioned that --As in the documents said , spi0_ss or spi1_ss should be connected to the VCC.

Please specify which document are you referring? Also clearly explain what is your exact requirement and what are the problems?

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos

@umamahe hi there, I am pretty sure he/she reffers to the Zynq-7000 TRM document. In chapter 17 SPI Controller, under figure 17-8 it is mentioned, that the PS-PL voltage level shifters must be turned on.

I would like to open this topic again for discussion, because I am facing the same problem (how to activate the PS-PL level shifters) and because of this the SPI communication is not working properly.

Controlling the level shifter would be relative easy in my opinion in a bare-metal application, because the relevant header files and register manipulation functions/macros are already available. However, I am working with an embedded Linux environment and I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how to integrate the relevant BSPs into my environment...

I am facing SPI communication problems and I am pretty sure it has a lot to do (or almos everything) with the level shifters.

I am getting randomly "spi transfer timeout" errors from Linux, although my MISO has data. Moverover, when this error occurs, stays permanently until a complete power off and on. Simple Linux "restart" does not suffice to solve the problem. It seems like a HW relevant problem, and probably voltage levels relevant...

I have attached an oscilloscope screenshot from an SPI communication. The PL contains an IP-Core, which is working and tested... so it is not the reason of the problem.

Questions:

-how to integrate the BSPs into a Linux environment?

-how to set the required voltage level shifters?

Thanks in advance for every help!

spi_problem_zynq.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

As far as I'm aware, the enabling of the level shifters happens in the FSBL, more precisely in the function 'FsblHandoff' in main.c

• In case you use a FSBL to boot your system, ps7_init.c/h will enable the shift registers for you (it's a huge file, but you can search for 'shift' in that file, and you should see the correct values set there.
  • In case you use JTAG to download your bitstream/code (hence there's no FSBL) -> an equivalent tcl script 'ps7_init.tcl' enables the level shifters (search for 'PS_LVL_SHFTR_EN' in that file).

All these files (ps7_init.c/h and ps7_init.tcl) are extracted by SDK from the .hdf file that is generated during a Vivado 'export hardware'. So I assume Vivado should set the right flags in case you enable EMIO, and you don't need to worry about this.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **