UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor xtermxtreme
Visitor

Processing Ethernet Packets from Processing System inside Programmable Logic

Hello all,

I am a newcomer to embedded development in regards to Xilinx development boards. I followed some FPGA programming tutorials and read documentation regarding the development of VHDL and Verilog, design creation and IP packaging but am currently in need of assistance for a specific development case regarding Ethernet packet processing using the Programmable Logic (PL) and the Zedboard Zynq Evaluation and Development Kit.

I have a few questions that I would like to be verified to progress further in this project:

- Can Ethernet packet information be transferred from the Processing System (PS) to the PL, for the PL to then send results back to the PS for network-based analysis and if so how could this be implemented?
- Could a similar mechanism be introduced for a WiFi controlled USB Driver connected to the USB interface of the Zedboard?
- Should I use the Vivado HLS editor, the Xilinx SDK, or the Vivado IDE to develop such functionality?

Many thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Processing Ethernet Packets from Processing System inside Programmable Logic

yes,
yes
all are valid..
have a go with the tutorials for each, see which make you happy
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor xtermxtreme
Visitor

Re: Processing Ethernet Packets from Processing System inside Programmable Logic

Thank you for the clarity.

At the moment I have been unable to find tutorials or designs that match the provided examples in question, could you please provide links or references to any that can put me on the right track?

Kind regards.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

lets sort out the tools first.
have you tried any of the three you mention, all can do the job you want.
you do realise this is a good few months work from where your at to working design,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor xtermxtreme
Visitor

Certainly and I'm fully aware, I have been practicing and following tutorials using each of the tools in question.

Since this task can be done with any I would plan on using the Vivado HLS in that I have more experience with C programming.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

thats a very valid decision,
HDL is very different to C, but its the way pf the world.

suggest you post in the hls forums for advise,
good luck