UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor jar3dp
Visitor

Read DDR from PL on Zynq

Hello, 

I am new to the zynq platform and am trying to read from the DDR memory from PL. I do not need to do any writes, just reads. I have been sifting through the forums looking for a solution, and while there are several similar threads, I am still a little confused. I would greatly appreciate an explanation of how this can be done. I am using a ZYBO board, if that matters. Thank you.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Read DDR from PL on Zynq

Hi @jar3dp

Would you try to use AXI DMA controller ?

I'm sure that it is useful to resolve what you want to do.

Thank you.

Best regards

0 Kudos

You can use the CDMA. There is example driver code that you can use to help you here:

SDK\2017.1\data\embeddedsw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers\axicdma_v4_3\examples

0 Kudos
Visitor jar3dp
Visitor

@watari and @stephenm, thanks for your replies, but my application requirements are such that I must access DDR strictly from the PL. The problem with that CMDA example is it requires lots of software setup. Is there a way to use the CDMA strictly from the PL side? Thanks.

0 Kudos

what do you mean stricty from the PL side? Do you mean you dont want to use the processor to configure the DMA?

This is why I suggested the CDMA. It doesnt need the processor. The CDMA is also in the PL too (ie a soft IP)

0 Kudos
Visitor jar3dp
Visitor

Yes I mean I can't use the processor to configure the DMA. The example you pointed me to however is C code. I've instantiated a CDMA block, and am unsure exactly how to go about connecting everything up. 

0 Kudos