UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Reading and Writing to BPI flash after configuration.

Hi,

I'm working on a project that is using a BPI flash for configuring a series 7 device. How can I save data to the flash after configuation? Do I use the xilflash library? I would like to use it as a storage device so I can restore the state of my program after a power cycle. 

Also, I have another project using a series 7 device, but it uses a SPI flash for configuration and also has a parallel flash similar to the BPI flash. What kind of IP core do I use in Vivado to be able to access the parallel flash?

I hope I have this in the correct forum.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Re: Reading and Writing to BPI flash after configuration.

There are two relevant libraries provided as part of install:  

1. LibXil Flash that provides APIs for parallel flash. Usually, the parallel flash device require AXI External Memory Controller (AXI EMC) IP to be present in the hardware. 

2. LibXil Isf that provides APIs for serial flash. The serial devices require AXI Quad SPI (or PS7 QSPI/SPI when using zynq) IP to be present in the hardware. 

The OS and Libraries Document contains the details on the APIs provided by these libraries:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_4/oslib_rm.pdf 

Both these libraries provide 'write' API that allows the user to write to the flash. You can try them out. 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed that AXI EMC doesnt have a STARTUP primative like AXI QSPI to allow the use of CCLK after configuration. If I use the parallel flash as a boot device, how do I hook up the clock to it if I want to read/write after configuration. Can I still use CCLK? I know Vivado will tell me I cant touch the pin.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Would that be possible to instantiate the startup primitive and stich this to the EMC IP?

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I guess you could try connecting a startup primative to the AXI_EMC IP. I could also just tie another pin to the CCLK pin on a board and use that extra pin as the clock for the parallel flash after configuration. I'm just curious if there was something that took care of clocking configuration PROMs after the FPGA is configured internally so I don't have to make an external modification.

0 Kudos
Newbie miral163

Re: Reading and Writing to BPI flash after configuration in ml605

hi... i dnt know how read and write data from bpi flash in ml605 board. can anyone help me?

0 Kudos