UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar mrbietola
Scholar

Reduce BRAM usage Zynq MPsoc

Jump to solution

I, i see that in my design using UHD SDI Subsystem the BRAM usage is big. 

I imagine that since this is a completely software programmable IP, it doesn't simplify logic as i would like to have (i use a constant SDI configuration).

Should i gain more free BRAM if i "unpack" the subsystem and statically configure the IP's? Linux will complain about that?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Reduce BRAM usage Zynq MPsoc

Jump to solution

Hi @mrbietola 

I was looking at the details of the resources utilisation of the UHD-SDI subsystem. I can see that most of the BRAM are used in the SDI video bridge.

So from a strict vivado point of view, it is possible to reduce the usage if you select native SDI as interface. This would be somehow similar to the previous UHD-SDI IP.

But this will not work with the linux driver as in linux you are expected to move the data from memory. Thus you would require to have a VDMA or video frame buffer, thus you would need to use the AXI4-Stream interface and thus the SDI video bridge is required.

So to conclude, the only way for you to reduce the BRAM resources utilization would be to reduce the maximum rate to 3G-SDI

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @mrbietola 

I would not recommend you to do that:

• if you unpack the UHD-SDI Subsystem, then it become your custom IP and is not supported by Xilinx.
  • I am quite sure the linux driver will not support this. So you would need to write your own V4l2 or DRM driver. Similarly, no support will be provided by Xilinx for this

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Scholar mrbietola
Scholar

Jump to solution

this is the answer i was afraid of.

we have 2 SDI channels, in /out with picxo fracxo passthrough and we have consumed already 67%bram. We have to add the video processing blocks and i think we can't do it.

Maybe if i configure the core for maximum 3G SDI instead of 12G SDI i can reduce something.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @mrbietola 

Yes, as per the ressource utilization table, the BRAM utilisation is way less for 3G-SDI (16 -> 6)

Regards

Florent
Scholar mrbietola
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thanks Florent i was searching that table in the SDI IP doc but couldn't find it

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @mrbietola 

You can find the link in the IP fact table (first page) in the IP Product guide:

sdi.JPG

The reason why the table is not directly on the PG is because the table is supposed to be updated for evey releases while the PG is not necessary updated.

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @mrbietola 

I was looking at the details of the resources utilisation of the UHD-SDI subsystem. I can see that most of the BRAM are used in the SDI video bridge.

So from a strict vivado point of view, it is possible to reduce the usage if you select native SDI as interface. This would be somehow similar to the previous UHD-SDI IP.

But this will not work with the linux driver as in linux you are expected to move the data from memory. Thus you would require to have a VDMA or video frame buffer, thus you would need to use the AXI4-Stream interface and thus the SDI video bridge is required.

So to conclude, the only way for you to reduce the BRAM resources utilization would be to reduce the maximum rate to 3G-SDI

Regards

Florent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos