UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer yunusy
Observer

SGMII core - Reading PHY registers through MDIO

Hi. Our hardware design includes an 2 * Ethernet 1000Base-X or SGMII IP. (There is also another gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_0 that is connected to ENET1_XXX which cannot be seen the picture below).

sgmiicore.jpg

My problem is about reading PHY registers. Both gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_0 and gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_1 seem to be configured equally. When my code tries the read PHY control registers  , value returned from gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_0 is all 1’s (11111……).

Reading from gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_1 returns the expected value (which is 1 0101 0100 0000 in my case)

From the document of IP, I see that some bits of the control register should be 0 by default. For example first 5 bits are reserved and  must be 00000 and these bits are write protected. But I read 1111….11111. What I tried so far are:

• I interchanged the read sequence  but that didn’t make any difference, gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_0 is always read as 1’s
  • My hardware friend interchanged the connections between ENET0 and ENET1 and IP Cores but this didn’t make any difference
  • For the first time, PHY addresses of IP’s were both 1, I changed phy addr of gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_1 to 2, left gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_0 as 1, didn’t work

The problem seems to be about gig_ethernet_pcs_pma_0 core. What can be the source of this problem? What should I try?

Waiting for your suggestions

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: SGMII core - Reading PHY registers through MDIO

make sure that you are setting the MDIO address of x_1 (I am not sure how the address is set but probably either an IO which you need to set differently or a generic/parameter which you use when you instantiate) correctly and that you are generating the correct MDIO bit stream with the right address embedded in it.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: SGMII core - Reading PHY registers through MDIO

i am also facing the same issue.. can anyone suggest what can be the issue??
0 Kudos