UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

[SOLVED] AXI partial transfers over greater bus width

Jump to solution

Hey all,

Question on AXI transfers (using AXI Stream bus) into a DMA Receiver (the DMA module)

I have a 64bit Data width, but have a situation where I'm sending data that's only 48 bits worth (the upper bytes can be discarded.)

I haven't tried it yet -- but considered the possibility of manipulating the appropriate TKEEP/TSTRB (I need to go look at the protocol doc again.)

My goal is to have a single transfer cycle that's only 6 bytes wide (out of 8) which only increases the systems RCV'd byte count by 6 (and appropriately throws away those top 2 bytes).

Any thoughts from anyone? (before I go chase down an idea that won't work?)

Thanks,

-Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: AXI partial transfers over greater bus width

Jump to solution

As it turns out, the best solution was to simply set the BMP "start of image" offset past the padding of extra null bytes that are inserted into the data stream due to the 64bit bus width caused by the BMP header.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi Ben,

I would use an AXI Stream Data Width Converter IP in front of the DMA. It will efficiently merge multiple beats of the 48 bit interface into 64 bit data width for use with the DMA.
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi -- thanks for the reply. I don't think I explained the problem clearly enough.

normally this data stream is all 64bits wide. (I'm pushing a BMP header through it and then the image data.)

but the BMP header specification is only 14bytes.

So that's 1 transfer of 8 bytes (64 bits) and then another transfer of 6 bytes (48bits) over the same bus.

Everything else down the road is 64bit aligned. It's just this one transfer that doesn't need a full 64bits.

Reading the AXI spec, it looks like I can lower TKEEP for those 16bits (2 TKEEP lines) and that gets tossed from the data stream.

I'm going to try it out and see if that works.

-Ben

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

As it turns out, the best solution was to simply set the BMP "start of image" offset past the padding of extra null bytes that are inserted into the data stream due to the 64bit bus width caused by the BMP header.

0 Kudos