UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI TO SPI/UART/GPI converter

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I just started with FPGA design.

I would like to create a system for Artix 7 using Vivado and available IP cores(SPI, UART, GPIO, AXI interconnect)

The design implements bridge between SPI to the UART, GPIO, and another SPI(master to external peripherals). First SPI(AXI Quad SPI) is a slave to the external CPU and a master of the "AXI interconnect" and supposed to be connected to the slave port of "AXI interconnect", all other blocks are slaves to "AXI interconnect" and soppused to be connected to the master ports of "AXI interconnect". In such case CPU can address(send/recieve data) to/from all peripherals using biderectional SPI bus.

I'm not able to connects first SPI block to the slave interface, only to the master port of "AXI interconnect", but in this case even HDL wrapper can not be generated.

Could anyone suggest me a solution and what IPs/connection to use in order to make it work? 

Attached simplified block diagramm of what I'm trying to do.

Thank you,

Andrey

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: SPI TO SPI/UART/GPI converter

Jump to solution

The Xilinx SPI controller is just a controller - it doesn't have the ability to translate SPI commands into AXI commands, act as an AXI master, etc. For that you will need to implement your own SPI-to-AXI IP, or stick a MicroBlaze in the middle that acts as an SPI slave and AXI master.

3 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

The Xilinx SPI controller is just a controller - it doesn't have the ability to translate SPI commands into AXI commands, act as an AXI master, etc. For that you will need to implement your own SPI-to-AXI IP, or stick a MicroBlaze in the middle that acts as an SPI slave and AXI master.

Jump to solution
Thank you for quick response. Understood.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi again,

I followed your advice and added Microblaze in to the design that should act as SPI slave and AXI bus master.

No problem with AXI bus, but SPI port seems can not be added to the Microblaze. Please correct me if i wrong.

Thanks,

0 Kudos