UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Send data from pl to ps without sdk

I have Zynq ZC706 board I want to generate random numbers from the pl part of this board and send this number to ps part of my board which  is  running Linux operation  system and write this number a file.Is it possible to do that without using SDK .How can I use the AXI interfaces without SDK I cant use SDK because when I try  to open new bsp or project on SDK it gives me hundreds error Error2 and Error 127 that is an another problem that I cant solve for more than one month

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Send data from pl to ps without sdk

Hello,

I think in your case the SDK can be very useful to generate the device tree, which is the one telling the Kernel where your peripherals (also the PL ones) are.

Maybe these two options are interesting for your project:

Creating all required components manually:

If you use the U-Boot also as fsbl, you just need to use SDK to create a BOOT.bin file to boot your board and the device tree. Actually, you could write the device tree manually and then compile it, but this would be quite complicated.

Components of the system:

• Bit file: Vivado
  • FSBL: U-Boot (cross-compiled manually) / FSBL from Xilinx (you would need SDK)
  • Second Stage Bootloader: U-Boot (cross-compiled manually)
  • BOOT.bin: SDK
  • Device Tree: SDK
  • Kernel: cross-compiled manually
  • Rootfs: bootstrapping, download one from the Internet...

The advantage of this solution is that you control every component and it's configuration.

Using Petalinux

If you create a project in Vivado with the hardware that you want and build a Petalinux Project using this hardware, you won't have to deal with SDK. If the rootfs that Petalinux creates for you is too "light" for your project, you can configure Petalinux to create a rootfs that is going to be in the SD card and then replace it for the one you like (for example, a Debian one). This way is the quickest one to get something working (also with your pl logic).

Regards,

Ignacio

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have a working Linux operation system on my ps part and that is already booted from sd card Why do i need all these step you just mentioned
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello!

Sorry, I though you also had to "install" Linux.

In that case, you must be sure that your peripherals are included in the device tree. If not, you will have to create a new device tree, and SDK is useful for this.

You will need a device driver to read the information generated from the PL from the Linux side. If the application is not very complicated and doesn't require a very high performance, a user space driver could be a good solution (more info about this can be found here). No SDK is needed for this.

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Maybe this link is helpful for your project:

http://fpga.org/2013/05/28/how-to-design-and-access-a-memory-mapped-device-part-one/

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

thank you for your quick reply this links seem to complicated but give me an idea
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Is there another way that anyone can suggest how to communicate pl and ps part of zynq easily
0 Kudos