UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer @bucky
Observer

Sharing ZYNQ On-Chip Memory between CPU

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm going to bare-metal developing on a dual-core ZYNQ device used in AMP mode.
The two Cortex-A9 will share the on-chip memory - the 256kB SRAM block - to communicate one each other.
To ensure data update and coherency between processors, the shared on-chip memory will be marked as "Strongly Ordered" on both sides.

I'm not sure about what happens if both CPUs access the same memory location at the same time.
Does memory arbitration is already managed by system interconnect (e.g. CPU0 takes priority) ?

Looking at ZYNQ TRM and XAPP1079 it seems to me that arbitration is already managed but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance for the support,

Bucky

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar ericv
Scholar

Re: Sharing ZYNQ On-Chip Memory between CPU

Jump to solution

@bucky 

don't worry, the system inter-connect deals with contentioin and yes CPU #0 is always the "winner"  One question for you - it sounds like you are setting the cache to strongly ordered with the purpose of making sure the data gets shared.  Do you require that data to land in memory because a DMA or other external device accesses it? If not then keep the OCM as a regular shared memory: the cache, through the SCU, deals with that and you'll llikely get faster accesses/exchanges.

2 Replies
Scholar ericv
Scholar

Jump to solution

@bucky 

don't worry, the system inter-connect deals with contentioin and yes CPU #0 is always the "winner"  One question for you - it sounds like you are setting the cache to strongly ordered with the purpose of making sure the data gets shared.  Do you require that data to land in memory because a DMA or other external device accesses it? If not then keep the OCM as a regular shared memory: the cache, through the SCU, deals with that and you'll llikely get faster accesses/exchanges.

Observer @bucky
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi eric,

thanks for the answer and the hint about strongly ordered marking.
The OCM will be accessed only by the two cores and you are right the coherence is ensured by SCU.

Thanks again,

Bucky

0 Kudos